Briggs PTO bushing to ball bearing??

I bought a 5hp I/C Gold for 15 bucks a while back, i did a little mods to it since. But just for shits and giggles, i want to put a ball bearing on the PTO side, because im pretty sure the flywheel side at least has a DU bushing or small ball bearing. Im wondering if all i need to do is buy a bearing and side cover, or if there is more to it? :confused: any help is appreciated

Yes, I think that's basically all you need to do. I think there are 2 size bearings, OD the same, but different ID. So, you need to make sure the bearing ID matches crank journal. There is also a "trick" bearing that does something, but I don't know what.

All my engines are bushing block, but I do have one bearing side cover. I tried to install it, but needed shims to take up crank end play (had too much). Otherwise it fit perfect. I ordered some shims (not that easy to find). I have the shims now, but haven't installed the bearing side cover yet.

As I understand it, doesn't really help HP any, just more durable it you have modified engine and turn a lot of rpms. My engines are stock, so I don't expect to see any benefits.

There are plenty of 5hp Briggs FH experts on this site that can correct my post and add to it. Maybe some will comment too.

If it is a an IC engine is most likely already a bearing PTO.. I've seen a FEW that were not, but that was only because the engine was coupled directly to a hydraulic pump, which ALSO has a couple sets of ball bearings in it, so the extra in the engine is redundant..

Usually IC of any kind is bearing PTO, and iron sleeve.. Then from there you get into the bearing front and DU bushing nose side

Hello Kid, I got one of those Briggs IC engines with bushing PTO and yes was a pressure washer engine. It does have the iron sleeve cylinder.

Hello roccosbike, have you ordered anything from APS recently. I noticed their inventory has dropped off huge. Something has happened to their business.

For example: I don't think they offer the trick bearing W4090 anymore. Do you know what's up with them?

Hello roccosbike, have you ordered anything from APS recently. I noticed their inventory has dropped off huge. Something has happened to their business.

For example: I don't think they offer the trick bearing W4090 anymore. Do you know what's up with them?
I know Raptor parts are getting harder and harder to find,its been several months since i ordered from them. I do like ordering from them,they have good parts and fast shipping. That bearing only works on an early style crank so measuring is important to make sure your getting what you need.:thumbsup:

There were two crank diameters and two bearing sidecovers, the large bearing and the small bearing one. The large bearing one was I think one inch for the bushing cranks. If you have the smaller diameter crank then the small bearing sidecover will fit it.

You need the large bearing and cover (newer stuff) post like 1989 era.. the 70's enginea re the small bearing, the 90's motors are the large bearing..

Any bushing crank is 1 inch at the sidecover and would use the 1 inch bearing..

RestoreKid, does this apply to the 3.5s too? I just picked up a 3.5 Industrial Plus that has a bushing pto. I wondered if the factory bearing fit over the crank bearing or if i had to swap cranks. I can get a side cover cheap but dont want to fork over 90 bucks for a new crank... So how does this work for us 3.5 people?