Brooklyn Bonanza Chopper Project

Double pipe looks awesome!

That double pipe looks really good and the motor is almost in the right spot side to side. Can you return the pipe and have the pipe manufacturer adjust it or make you one with the pipes offset another inch or two farther over the motor side to side? Can someone bend it farther over with a pipe bender?Could you add a wedge shaped block where the header mounts to gain another inch? You see wedge shaped blocks used on the intakes of Tecumsehs used on the Rupp bikes with the slanted motor mounts instead of the angled intake manifold.

Anyway, your bike is going to be amazing and may deserve a custom header. Everyone knows that a mini chopper frame is not the easiest when it comes to clearances or interferences, but you've got that motor looking really good in there!.

Thanks man, but I move quickly, sometimes hastily I'd say, and I sent that pipe back today. I will go with a DIY kit from AGK I guess and figure out the correct angle and get it welded at the neighborhood fabricators. Maybe I'll get two and build a custom double pipe. Man it would be great to know how to weld! I am jealous of all you fabricators out there!

affordablegokarts: Header Kit, DIY, Straight

-j

Damn, those pipes look sharp, sorry you cant use em,

Nr might adjust them for you if you asked, there really good guys,

I remember beating the piss outa my header to get it to fit, It actually survived hits from a small sledge hammer without collapsing (it was the part where the flare was welded on, wrapped in a towel and beat away)

Header

Tell them what you're using it on and send them a picture. Tel them you need the double header pipe up at about the same height, but wrapped back farther over the motor. If looking into the end of the header, the two pipe need to be over the center of the engine, centered over the oil drain plug on the bottom of the case. They might be able to customise the one you returned and send it out to you for little or notheing if you will provide a picture of the completed bike.... It can't hurt to try.

Yes, thanks for the suggestions, I think I will carefully photo-document the setup I have and sketch in what i want from a few different angles and see if the NR Racing people can modify some headers for me or build me something custom. Good idea!

-j

The problem with moving the motor over is that when it sticks out the right side as it would, there's very little chance you could get your foot on the footpeg on that side. I did a google search for "custom header GX200" and I found this ad:

minibike gokart custom headers

So I called the guy and asked if he builds these things and it turns out that this is the guy who builds the mini bike headers sold on NR Racing's site! He built the pipe that I love but had to send back! I asked if he'd be willing to build me a custom pipe if I sent him pics of where the motor is situated and he said it is a good possibility! So I'm going to do that and see what he can do. Its a small world!

-j

The problem with moving the motor over is that when it sticks out the right side as it would, there's very little chance you could get your foot on the footpeg on that side. I did a google search for "custom header GX200" and I found this ad:

minibike gokart custom headers

So I called the guy and asked if he builds these things and it turns out that this is the guy who builds the mini bike headers sold on NR Racing's site! He built the pipe that I love but had to send back! I asked if he'd be willing to build me a custom pipe if I sent him pics of where the motor is situated and he said it is a good possibility! So I'm going to do that and see what he can do. Its a small world!

-j

You know, that half the price of a good used welder. :wink: (just a though)

Just... need... one more part!

Ok, so I've been waiting patiently for the last part, the exhaust. The guy in Detroit who was building me the pipe got busy getting ready for that Ann Arbor minibike show but he called me yesterday and said it was done and he's shipping it out! I've had everything else ready for a while now, ran out of things to do! Thats a bummer when you finally have gotten around to everything (except paint) and the mini is just sitting there collecting dust. I can't believe I can fire it up very soon! He sent me a pic of the pipe he made for me on a bike of his. I love it! When I get the the pipe and put it on, I'll photo it and I will make a separate posting about this guy and custom exhausts.

I asked him if he would mind if I mentioned him on this site and he was totally cool with it and said he'd make a custom exhaust for anyone. I paid less than a hundred bucks for this pipe too. He also makes clutch covers too for Honda/Clone motors. But anyway, I'll get into that in that separate post. I swear, I suck at taking pictures - overexposed this time... Here's a pic of my bike in its current state.

-jonathan

I got the telescope to look at the moon from my roof but after doing that a couple times, I tilted it horizontal and tried to look in some windows. I realized that there is absolutely nothing going on out there, and if there is, it isn't being done in front of a window with the shade up! Darn it! Love that animated gif, do you know what thats from?

-j

Ok, give me your honest opinion

So I got my custom exhaust today. It looks rad but it does stick out pretty far... Granted the guy who made it built it by referring to pics I sent him with a strategically placed measuring tape laying on various parts of the bike... I imagine he decided to err on the side of it fitting, which is good; I have a pipe that fits and looks cool... from almost all angles, and the fact is, I can finally start this thing up for the first time.

So, what do you think? Would you run it?

-jonathan

Why not? I like it, I bet it will really crack with that pipe on it. Are you going to wrap them? Or a heat shield? Header wrap would look kool, and old school. That pipe will get you burned, thats for sure. So I would do something.
:thumbsup: