Brute-Cycle made by Lakes Sports, Fairmont Minnesota restoration

I'm going a mechanical and partial cosmetic restoration on an old Brute Cycle that's been in the family forever. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer though, as information on these is very scarce. I would like to keep it as close to original as possible.

The fiberglass seat taken off at some point, and was not mounted; I appear to be missing a mounting bracket. The mount on the frame does not line up with the seat mounts. Was there a just a flat strap, or was it a piece of square tubing for the rear mounting bracket?

Some of them I have seen have a hinged suspension on the main frame tube, this one does not. It also doesn't have the floorboard, and I do not remember it ever having one.

I am missing part of the rotary headlight switch, does anyone have a source for the original style switch? It is also missing one of the brake adjusters.

The trike was registered and plated at one time, at least in 76 and 77 (still has the license plate) Is there a serial number somewhere I can't see, other than what's on the original engine? (I want to get it back on the street, and it would be much easier if the frame had a number) Also, how can you tell what year it was made?

If there is any literature out there on these things, I would love to see it...

View attachment 70878 View attachment 70879 View attachment 70880 View attachment 70881 View attachment 70882

Attachments

Front fender is cool on that thing. Usually if you look close enough at any switch like that you will find a makers name or mark somewhere..maybe underneath. That would be your best bet to finding one just Google the name or check Ebay.

I don't know that I've ever seen a 7 HP "Checkered Flag" Tecumseh...in any case you would be hard pressed to find another that nice. Go easy cleaning that motor so you don't hurt the decal or original paint.

I don't know that I've ever seen a 7 HP "Checkered Flag" Tecumseh...in any case you would be hard pressed to find another that nice.
I've got one on my Retek. Well, what's left of it anyways. I remember trying to convince that jackass to make 7, 8, and 10HP Checkered flag decals when we had that run printed up.....But he just wouldn't listen:thumbdown:

That trike looks to be in real good condition, you'd be surprised how well the dirt and dust preserved it. Should clean up real nice:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I washed the thing tonight. I did my best to save the engine decal, but it practically rinsed right off. The frame is pretty rusty with the dirt off, I will have to paint at least the frame for sure. I did find where're the serial number is; on the top of the right rear tube. It starts with 72, so I am assuming this is indeed a 72 model year.

That is one cool piece of history there. Hope the decals on the body survived the washing.
Looking over your pictures is sure looks as thou there is something missing still for that seat to mount to. I couldn't imagine it just bolting to that angle iron and around the frame tube. Perhaps a nice triangular shaped piece of 5/8 or 3/4 plywood ? IDK
I'd vote for it being a '72, motor is,serial # start,and '70~'75 was the hay day for these trikes .
Keep the pics coming :thumbsup:

Here are pictures of all the decals after cleaning up. The body decals still look pretty good for their age. However, the engine decal didn't hold up as well. The seats are in great shape, the bottom seat will need the zipper repaired, but there aren't even any rips in the vinyl.

Attachments

IMG_3865.JPG Well, I got it running over the weekend, but not well. The original carburetor is shot, even after rebuilding it. I tried out a different carb, and that is the issue. I decided to just order a 25$ chinese one for the time being, until I locate a good original Tec body of the correct vintage. I fabricated mounts for the seat, so that is installed properly now. I'll start tearing it down next I suppose, to replace all the bearings and get it ready for paint. I still haven't found a correct switch for the light. If anyone has a line on one, please let me know. It's got the original Brute Cycle monogrammed belt even....

I disassembled the entire cycle, sanded and repainted the frame. It was too far gone with rust, and needed to be redone. I put all new bearings in and repacked the differential. I also tore apart the engine and lapped the valves, set the timing and fixed the flywheel as best I could. The crank threads that hold on the flywheel must have broken at some point over the years and to fix it the crank was drilled out for a 5/16" bolt to hold it on. I had a hard time getting the flywheel off, but after pretty much destroying a puller and using heat, it did come loose. I have it running and riding pretty well now. Everything works too. I will speed test it with the GPS one of these days when it gets nice out, but it feels like it goes around 40-45 mph. I'll put up a video of it at some point too.

IMG_3913.JPG IMG_3929.JPG IMG_3939.JPG IMG_3944.JPG IMG_3950.JPG

Last edited: