Cable Clamps

Anyone out there have a good technique for putting on those cable clamps without scratching the paint? I was wrapping some clear tape on the frame first . Joe

Davis

I use automotive clear bra cut in strips just put it on the frame in location and slide em on really carefully it works better because it's so thick.

Mylar strips from file folder tabs. That was an old kustomkartkid trick he posted a few years ago. Personally Joe, I just slap them on over paint. If it's cured, it doesn't damage the paint.

I don't know what type of clamps are being used but the Gilson clamps are plastic-dipped on the ends. Like Dave said, if the paint is cured, there should be no pain. I've R&R'd several times and no damage on any of my bikes...

I just went thru this on my MTD , I spread them open a tad bit first with 2 pairs of pliers , made them much easier to pop on and they didn't loose any spring tension at all !
The clear 3M door edge trim tape you can buy at Autozone would probably be a good idea as well but I found the tension to open those little peckers up was pretty astounding :laugh: