Can we start a thread on Clutches?

Anybody have experiences with the various clutches that they'd like to share? Or possibly any links with testing or comparisons of the various clutches typical of what we would use?

This link has several clutch brands & types pictured.
Rieken's Racing: Clutches - OUT2WIN.COM

Anyone have any experience with the Noram or Premier brand clutches & how do they compare to the good ole Max-Torque?

Information on proper clutch maintenance & lubrication would be very helpful also.

Anyone run needle bearings vs. an oilite bushing?

Thanks
~JM~

Oldsalt

Strigoi
Where did you get that avatar?! So crude yet so real. Gotta be a manic-depressive with elan.

Last edited:
The only "good ole" about max torque is the rattle "tinging" it makes. :doah:

For a $23 clutch, I like Comet. (less tiglinggalinggaling )

NewAge

When I was doing research for my projects clutch I called lots of suppliers and asked lots of questions, I also searched several kart racing forums for information, I determined that shoe type clutches are way cheaper, low maintenance, and are easily tunable. However, they are more prone to "chatter" prior to lock-up and "ding-a-ling" at idle. The disc type clutches are much more expensive and more complicated to maintain but they offer a higher quality, smoother, and more solid operation. I decided on a 2 disc 6 spring Bully.

I wanted to wait till I produced my next Youtube video before sharing info.:thumbsup:

The new movie, "Doodle-Hog Build-up" should be available after next weekend February 3rd.

I have tested My New Noram GE clutch which has 2400RPM springs and Heavy shoes.

It works great and pulls nicely.
I can only ride from block to block along the canal bank.:thumbdown:
I am hitting some good speeds, but I don't have enough room for the clutch to lock-up yet.

I am 99% Positive I will see the estimated 50+ MPH I Calculated.:thumbsup:

I highly recommend the Noram GE, Best Bang for the Buck !!!!!!

Last edited:
Wow, a fuel clutch for a minibike.

Anyone make their own from an automatic transmission clutchpack?
i really don't know what you mean by that question but if you ment has anyone made one kinda like the clutch pack in a automatic transmission that would be yes.

all the disk racing clutches are like that. they usually have 6 counter weights and a spring for each one. you can adjust the ingadement rpm by putting more or less pressure on the spring by screwing it or out in a little more. that is why it is so important to have the springs adjusted correctly. when the engine goes over the pressure that the springs can hold the counterweights lock in to position (grabbing) the disk. and away you go. much like a clutch pack in a automatic tranny.

:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

#41 chain???

All the clutches I've looked at have #35 chain, are there any good clutches, ones that will handle 14+ hp that accept #41 chain? The reason I'm asking is the rear wheel I am running will have a #41 sprocket.... I probably could get a #35 blank sprocket and drill the bolt pattern to fit my hub but thats a pain in the arse making sure it's dead nuts on so the sprocket doesn't oscelate..

The clutches in top fuel and many of the other drag cars in classes that use multi thousand horsepower engines generally use either a direct drive (no gears) with a reverser or a multi-section transmission with planetary gearsets that can shift under full load. The clutch they use is a scaled up version of the centrifugal clutch we are talking about. They've used this setup since it was developed by the fertile minded Bruce Crower in the 60s. Depending on the class, the clutch is serviced after every pass involving resurfacing the floaters, grinding the clutch disks and tuning the engagement by adjusting spring tension and weights. All the parts are required to meet SFI certification standards and they live in a very thick steel can so that when they expode at 10,000 rpm they don't cut the car in half.

The fuel clutch or Crowerglide is the ultimate clutch when it comes to racing, and it is really cool to see a scaled down model available for our use.

I'm asking about the auto transmission clutchpack because I have been meaning to use a front drum from a 904 torqueflight for a minibike clutch for a while, but haven't ever gotten around to actually building it. It seems like a good basis for something similar to a fuel clutch, but there is some machine work and parts to be made to get it all to work.

Now I am really caught between buying and building one, building stuff is cool, but the instant gratification works just as well.

i really don't know what you mean by that question but if you ment has anyone made one kinda like the clutch pack in a automatic transmission that would be yes.

all the disk racing clutches are like that. they usually have 6 counter weights and a spring for each one. you can adjust the ingadement rpm by putting more or less pressure on the spring by screwing it or out in a little more. that is why it is so important to have the springs adjusted correctly. when the engine goes over the pressure that the springs can hold the counterweights lock in to position (grabbing) the disk. and away you go. much like a clutch pack in a automatic tranny.

I'm asking about the auto transmission clutchpack because I have been meaning to use a front drum from a 904 torqueflight for a minibike clutch for a while, but haven't ever gotten around to actually building it. It seems like a good basis for something similar to a fuel clutch, but there is some machine work and parts to be made to get it all to work.

Now I am really caught between buying and building one, building stuff is cool, but the instant gratification works just as well.
i can tell you now to just buy a racing clutch and use it. the racing clutch company's spend thousands and thousands of dollars each year on research and development.

hortsman, tomar, bully, jammer, and noram are the best racing clutches on the market ! i have tons of of experience with all of these brands and lots more. these are these brands that i mostly prefer.