Can you mount a predator 212 90 degrees

Same way it always did, with splash. You may have to adjust the oil level or modify the dipper (if it has one) for the new configuration. Looks like it will call for less oil so it may run hotter and require more frequent oil changes. Oil level too high will create all sorts of problems.
Yep. I'd setup some kind of simple outboard oil reservoir so the proper oil level reference crankshaft, in the smaller footprint space would have the same or more overall oil capacity.

Yep. I'd setup some kind of simple outboard oil reservoir so the proper oil level reference crankshaft, in the smaller footprint space would have the same or more overall oil capacity.
Just remove the OEM oil dipper and replace it with something made of stamped steel.
It just has to catch the oil at the new bottom of the engine.

I have no doubt this can be made to work well enough to function.
I am not sure it can oil well enough for a performance engine.

And something else....
These bikes with the tilted engines are more art pieces .
They don't have to work perfectly they just need to work well enough to show and ride.

Last edited:
I have seen posts about some bikes with motors mounted at this angle hitting speeds of 65 mph .. Guess it depends on who builds them as to whether they are show pieces or genuine riders

An ARC rod is designed with a scoop.
Will it work as designed at such an angle.

I run about 450-500ml of oil in my clones to avoid whipping the whole contents of the crank case into a froth.
Maybe that how they work in this config, they whip the whole contents of the case up.

Sportsman flyer guys used a vertically mounted gx160 to set a unstreamlined 175cc record of 73 mph using a engine built by agk.

joshua. c.

why not just buy a 5hp briggs flathead, they are designed to sit in that position and have plenty of aftermarket parts that can really make them fly. it would be a lot easier then modifying a preditor like that.

Last edited:
why not just buy a 5hp briggs flathead, they are designed to sit in that position and have plenty of aftermarket parts that can really make them fly. it would be a lot easier then modifying a preditor like that.
Not many flatheads getting around here and I much prefer OHV engines to be honest. I also import Clone stuff from China so it was laying in the shed begging for it.

did you have any performance related issues running the engine like this?
Hi Gerald, Had to do a few internal modifications to make it all work. Its on a scaled speedway style bike frame so whether the harsh sideways leaning angles will cause issues is yet to be seen.

If I may ask, what kind of internal mods did you do?
Sure. First I cut up a spare side cover in half and mocked the block up to get the correct oil level. I then made a sheet metal dipper for the billet rod and cut of the original. I also put a small plate in as a windage tray because it's on a mini speedway style bike so I plan to lean it over a lot. That's about it, runs ok now will take it for a blap in a few months hopefully.