Caper Cycle Info

Oldsalt

Does anyone have any info on the Caper Cycle bikes ? I will post pictures of it soon.
Yes!....please post some pictures. There's gotta be folks out there that know a lot more about Caper Cycles than I. However, I live in the little town, Walla Walla, in Southeast Washington where they were manufactured. That allows me to talk to people that built them at Hunt Mfg.. A thumbnail sketch would include the fact that they were sorta the "muscle cars" of the mini bike world. A couple of other people put Mac and Westbend kart motors in their mini bikes but it was several years of production before any Caper ever saw a lowly Briggs 3 horse. Bennie built more killer minis than anyone else. The current limp wristed queer liberal government would outlaw their sale to the general pubic in 10 minutes. There were several frame styles. The early frames, up to about 1962, were too short to fit a tall 4 stroke engine such as a Briggs. The 2 stroke models were "Falcon" models. The later, and taller, frames were called 'Kingfishers" if fitted with a Briggs. The Falcons continued to be produced but both models had the tall frames even though the layed down 2 stroke engines didn't require it. All frames had a little gas tank bracket at the rear of the seat. Even though the Briggs engine machines didn't require a remote tank bracket it was there anyway. None had what could be called foot pegs. There were just tiny stubs to place the feet. All Capers had jackshafts as far as I can tell. No production figures were kept: The highest serial number I have found is in the 2000's. The serial number is stamped near the center on the bottom of the engine plate. ALL frames broke if rode in rough conditions. I have never seen one that did not have repairs. Ben Hunt used 3/4" tube rather than 7/8" or 1". All were painted with "implament" paint such as Ford or International tractor colors. All were suppose to be red. However, Ben produced Caper Carts. Real state-of-the-art racing machines and they came in a couple of other colors. If there was some blue paint left in the gun a couple of Caper Cycles would be put on the bench and painted. All Capers have drum brakes at the rear. The very early models had smaller diameter drums.

monty

Wow ! .. Thanks you guys for the info, I appreciate it and I will try to get some photo's put up this weekend.

I have a 1960 Caper Cycle that my Dad bought, have original title.....Falcon engine....many thanks for your history on this unit. My scooter is in nice shape, need a carb kit, always stored inside. Has not ran for 20 years or so. New to this site and stumbled accross it by accident. Many thanks.