Cat 250x restoration and modification build thread

First off, this will probably take several posts to get started. I have a lot of pictures.

I'm a new guy here so I figured I'd do a build thread on my latest project. It's a Cat 250x that I bought a few weeks ago for 50 bucks...

The engine was wasted from sitting outside uncovered for years. Luckily, a friend gave me another 3 horse Briggs flathead. It was a pump engine and had sat in the mud in a gravel pit for 15 years, but it wasn't stuck so I chose to use it as the base for my engine.

As soon as I got the pump engine torn down, I found plenty of crank damage and block scoring but luckily, I came across this new in the box Briggs shortblock for 50 bucks.

Two days work cleaning the carburetor and rebuilding it...The air cleaner housing is powdercoated chrome.

Head all powdercoated and detailed. I've learned some tricks to powdercoating finned parts over the years which applied to the Briggs heads too...

Engine shroud also powdercoated in chrome powder with new rope, handle, and decals...

(more in next post)

Gas tank cleaned, powdercoated, and sealed with POR15 tank sealer...

I threw it together to make sure I liked the look. When disassembling the core engine, I cataloged all bolts and ordered new socket head stainless replacements...

New front wheels from Old Minibike Warehouse (great service)

Powdercoated the original rear wheel in chrome powder. It uses a queer sprocket bolt pattern so I wound up reusing the original sprocket too.

The new wheel bearings with clips are offset from the original shouldered bearings that the bike was built with so I had to cut the axle mounting tabs off and weld new ones on spaced further apart to allow the now thicker rear wheel hub to fit properly. Lots of measuring on that step...

Original pegs were beyond saving so I axed them off...

(more in next post)

New pegs welded on further forward since I'm pretty big and this thing is pretty small..

All mocked up to check fitment of everything...I also axed off the scrub brake.

Now, to build a proper brake..

Paper template...

Transfer to steel plate...

Rough fit check...

Finished bracket powdercoated...

Prep and powdercoat frame and fork. Noticed I axed the old handlebars off. Plans for that later. I l also ordered a chrome asuza fender but the plating was pure feces so I wound up coating it to match the frame. I built two fender brackets, one between the frame tubes and one below the engine plate. The fender is very secure once bolted down. The old axles were trash so I got new ones from McMaster Carr along with stainless hardware for the entire bike.

Notice clutch brake is installed in this picture...

Last edited:
I got these handlebar risers off of a Honda 400EX ATV.

I don't have a picture of them, but I detailed and powdercoated them already.

I'm still waiting on my handlebars to arrive and still need to paypal 8ball for a seat.

Hope to have it completed in another couple of weeks.

Nice work AG, your CAT is really coming together :thumbsup:

I also like your clutch band brake bracket, I need to fab one for my 350ss clone restoration and I'll probably go with a modified version with the bracket on an angle so as to align with the clutch cover. Shop will close soon for the summer so I will make sure to make my template now in the event that I can make one over the next few weeks.

You probably know this already but just in case, with a clutch brake set-up only no chain=no brakes :doah:

Again, great build, post some more pics....

I figured I'd bring this back to the top for a bit of an update.

I got the Honda 400ex handlebar risers powdercoated and installed along with some Schwinn handlebars and white grips. I also got the ebay thumb throttle all powdercoated and installed too...

The project is completely done other than the seat. I had planned to order the seat a month ago but one of my kids had some unexpected medical issues. Even with good health insurance those things aren't cheap. So, as soon as the money tree grows a tiny bit more I will get the seat ordered and the project will be 100 percent complete.

sweet apes!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't forgotten you about the seat. My youngest daughter got the ear tubes issues and those bills have become due.

I do think I'm going to want to change plans on the seat we had discussed though. I'm going to want an all white seat with blue piping around the top perimeter. Just a basic flat top seat, welting on edges and basic boxing on the sides. Maybe some pleats sewn across the top surface.