Cat 300ss

1stBxMopar

I just finished a full restoration on a Cheeftah with my older son, so now it's time to build a bike for my youngest son Lucas, who probably spends more time in the garage with me than any of my other kids...... So this one will be for him. The bike is a CAT 300SS and I think it will be perfect for him, because at 5 years old the small frame cat will fit him well...
This build will NOT be a 100 percent correct restoration, but more of a restification. Meaning it will deviate slightly from original.
My thoughts are that being I don't have the original motor, and I have a later model 3hp flat head that I have recently gone thru and detailed, it will be utilized on this build. Also, after recently finishing a bike in yellow, I'm a little tired of that color so on this bike it will be changed..I'm thinking something like a candy green metallic...
Wheels will definately be redone as original with silver rims and black stars.....
Handle bars and fenders will most likely be rechromed......

:thumbsup: That is a great photo of Lucas and the bike!

I had one with a Tec 3.5 and it hauled me around pretty good. I'm slightly bigger than Lucas. lol... "Restification" sounds like a good plan, since original parts are expensive. Maybe under that black paint, the bars could just be buffed?

I pay $120 to chrome a set of those bars. Fenders about $50 each. Expensive, but darn it, nothing shines like new chrome.

I recently tried a can of Lil Daddy Roth's spray flake and was very impressed. An easy way to get some neat paint jobs out of a spray bomb. Not cheap, but high quality stuff. They have a complete line-up of products.

I've used the Chinese knock-off brake calipers on these Cats and with an angle grinder, was able to get them to fit the Cat brake mount and work as crappy as original. :laugh:

Looks like a cool build for a cool kid.

buckeye

I will watch this one in earnest.:thumbsup:

That little guy is all smiles!! "Finally, I get one, and this is mine".
Awesome.:thumbsup:

1stBxMopar

:thumbsup: That is a great photo of Lucas and the bike!

I had one with a Tec 3.5 and it hauled me around pretty good. I'm slightly bigger than Lucas. lol... "Restification" sounds like a good plan, since original parts are expensive. Maybe under that black paint, the bars could just be buffed?

I pay $120 to chrome a set of those bars. Fenders about $50 each. Expensive, but darn it, nothing shines like new chrome.

I recently tried a can of Lil Daddy Roth's spray flake and was very impressed. An easy way to get some neat paint jobs out of a spray bomb. Not cheap, but high quality stuff. They have a complete line-up of products.

I've used the Chinese knock-off brake calipers on these Cats and with an angle grinder, was able to get them to fit the Cat brake mount and work as crappy as original. :laugh:

Looks like a cool build for a cool kid.
Dave, I was also hoping that under the black paint the chrome would be good enough to buff, but whoever painted it scuffed up the chrome pretty good trying to get the paint to stick.
It would have been nice to save a little coin on that, but instead I guess it's off to the chrome plater.....

Dave, I was also hoping that under the black paint the chrome would be good enough to buff, but whoever painted it scuffed up the chrome pretty good trying to get the paint to stick.
It would have been nice to save a little coin on that, but instead I guess it's off to the chrome plater.....
That's too bad. Seeing your little guy makes me miss the times I spent with mine. They're grown and long gone now. Having a son in the garage with me is my idea of heaven. I am looking forward to seeing this project. :thumbsup:

1stBxMopar

That's too bad. Seeing your little guy makes me miss the times I spent with mine. They're grown and long gone now. Having a son in the garage with me is my idea of heaven. I am looking forward to seeing this project. :thumbsup:
Dave, I agree having the little guy in the garage with me makes it all that much more enjoyable. But, I have to tell you what's funny, I'm 54 years old and every one thinks that he's my grandson....LOL..:laugh:

I promised Lucas we would get in the garage for a little while today, so after we finished some yard work it was time to get in there and tear down the Cat.....
When I get some free time I'll drop the frame off to be powder coated....

I dropped the frame of to be powder coated a couple of weeks ago, so while we wait to get the frame back, me and Lucas restored the wheels. After blasting and stripping the rims and stars, we refinished them the correct colors. While we waited for the paint to dry we cleaned up the original double indian head tires. Today we got the wheels re-assembled.......

Last edited:
Got the frame back from powdercoat today, it took longer than it was supposed to, and cost a little more than I would have liked, (No Surprises There), but it turned out nice and Lucas is happy so it's all good....
The flourescent lights in the garage don't do this color justice, it needs to be out in the sun where the silver metallic really pops thru the candy green...............