cat slingshot sissy bar

Judging the Green Cat Hustler photo.

It looks to have a narrow top like the Duster?
Yes, that was the home made bar I refered to earlier in the thread. I did not drill holes in the bar, as said earlier. Bad idea if you ever want to ride it, and why they're all missing now.

On the Hustler, I maxed out the bender and had to heat at and massage it to get it skinny like that. I worked off the ad photo to arrive at the ratios.

If the seat and fiberglass seat pan weren't there, you'd see how it hourglassed slightly.

Don't bother making a Hustler bar unless someone has the rear plastic or remade fiberglass piece already done. Trust me. It's far easier to conform the bar to the seat back than the seat back to a bar, and then actually mount it.

Derek, it would be weird if my Hustler started being the example used for anything, since so much of it was fabricated based on an ad that was obviously air brushed.

I agree with ya Dave 100%. At this point we have discussed the use of the sissy bar I'm sending him for use with the Duster and the Duster only.
Well, it'll be good to have the patterns out there. I'd have measured the Hustler, but I knew they wouldn't necessarily fit anyone else's, just like mass producing the seat pans.

Has to be a matched set with seat, seat pan, and sissy bar. No one has produced the entire seat pan back, nor come up with a bullet proof seat option with spray foam. Only wood for fat ass old men to ride.

edit: Just recalling- 70 degrees, 23" from base and 2.25 rings a bell.

Last edited:
The only one I ever saw had some pieces of bars slid over the ends and welded to reinforce it so it wouldn't break.... Since these are going to be repops and will never be worth what an original one is worth. Why not just use solid rod and then drill the holes? And chrome?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Chrome is great, gotta love the shine. I'm not a fan of the cost....

If your going to mothball the bike chrome will last long. However, at some point rust will take over.

Stainless steel shines almost as good as chrome, stainless steel will rust ! Under the right conditions and factors. Heat being a main factor depending on the grade of stainless.

I do not bend my bars with heat. I can insert Solid Aluminum rod inside the stainless for Riders if they wish. To give it strength from bolt hole and up the bend for back support and vibration.

If the bike is just a show item it would not need this support.
Of course the more I do " Material " the more it would cost.

Stainless steel shines almost as good as chrome, stainless steel will rust ! Under the right conditions and factors. Heat being a main factor depending on the grade of stainless.

I do not bend my bars with heat. I can insert Solid Aluminum rod inside the stainless for Riders if they wish. To give it strength from bolt hole and up the bend for back support and vibration.

If the bike is just a show item it would not need this support.
Of course the more I do " Material " the more it would cost.
In a marine environment, and if you completely disregard your chrome, yes, it will eventually develop corrosion. In my environment, that process would take about 30 years. No way are chrome and polished SS comparable in finish. I've seen them side by side too many times.

I used heat on my steel bar because I wanted a tighter bend than the borrowed bender could accomplish. Of course I was going to chrome it from the get go. The steel was about 20 dollars, and the chrome about 75. Also, because it was a rider, and not a wall hanging, I ran the bar inside the frame. To achieve that, a very tight bend is required.

As said twice before, I didn't drill holes in the tubing. Here are the various links to construction, and the rear tab is shown. If you don't do it this way, your bar will break. (If you ride it)

Original Hustler Seat and Bar

T Bolts and Tabs for sandwich construction.

Rear mount tab example.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Dave, no grummet,, stainless is not chrome.

Viewed the thread from start to finish, truely creative work done there. :thumbsup: Loving your seat work and paint skills.

Again, stainless is not chrome but, the shine is close.

Nothing says you can't chrome stainless, if you have the money to spend that's great.

I've offered my help, thats all.

56" = 24" of finnished stainless, bent, drilled and ready, it will be a $40.00 + shipping bar. Shorter is less, longer is more. Extra strength is more.

The more bars you ship the better your cost in on shipping.

Thats about all I can say.

Here is a stainless bar VS. the chrome on the bike.

Last edited:
Dave, no grummet,, stainless is not chrome.

Viewed the thread from start to finish, truely creative work done there. :thumbsup: Loving your seat work and paint skills.

Again, stainless is not chrome but, the shine is close.

Nothing says you can't chrome stainless, if you have the money to spend that's great.

I've offered my help, thats all.
Sorry, I tend to be somewhat terse. For those who need these bars, you are doing a great service. Original came with chrome, so that's what I do, even though it leaves a welt on my ass where my cash used to be.

I've done a lot of ss polishing over the years, and even now still polish mild steel- and it lasts here in the AZ desert. If I do decide to chrome (I always get a bunch of stuff saved and boxed, then send together) the initial polishing is done, saving time for the chromer. The labor there is the expense.

When I keep harping on mounting methods for these mini bike bars, it is because the original Cat method was totally inadequate. Derek and others who carefully maintain originality will opt for original mounting methodology no matter how ill-conceived it is. Others spend too much on paint, chrome and parts, then drink beer and decide to go riding. (me) So my builds have to be Dave Tough. Or Dave Proof. :laugh:

Again, thanks for working for Derek and providing this much needed service to the Cat builders out there. Your work is very good, and I fully appreciate the tight bends you are coming up with.
Dave

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
All good Dave.

I have even looked at home chroming units and wounder :shrug:

Close up of 2" I.D. bend ( no kinking, or heat ) unpolished bar.

Last edited: