chain guide or roller??

I searched but never saw an answer to this .

I have a bronco tx? with jackshaft and #35 chain , after some adjusting I see that the rear sprocket could use some sort of guide to stop any chance of the chain falling off.

would a roller do it best or maybe one of them bolt on things the cart guys have on there sprockets?

I am thinking roller and if so how does one build this ?

I like using rollers vs idler sprockets because there are no teeth to mis-pitch and cause chain jump...

I'm not showing any pics of mine...they're half steampunk/half Rube Goldberg, and I doubt that's what you're looking for...

I like using rollers vs idler sprockets because there are no teeth to mis-pitch and cause chain jump...

I'm not showing any pics of mine...they're half steampunk/half Rube Goldberg, and I doubt that's what you're looking for...
any pics would help and I do not care if they are not show bikes as it has to work befor it can look good!

some people use small skateboard wheels.
:punk: I was going to quote Yellowhands "Rube Goldburg Device" :lol: cuz NOBODY says that name anymore.. :lol: But YEAH skateboard wheels make AWESOME rollers.. they have GOOD ball bearings in them, are hard ass rubber but softer than the steel chain, you can even cut a groove to aim the chains angle too....
.. I just build my rollers for the Suicycle from a piece of that 1 1/2 black plastic irrigation pipe.. like a 1 1/2 inch long chunk with two bearings pressed into it.. The thin plastic causes the chain to pretty well chainsaw it's self through the tube.. But I have to change it maybe twice a year. :shrug: and that is on a bike that may as well be a motorcycle. It's got thousands of miles on it.. I have some sk8-board wheels I plan to make a better one from if i ever do anything at all to the bike.. Mine is just a couple tabs that mount to the rear of the frame.. there is a nut welded to the back of the inside mount, I stick the roller in and run a Briggs head bolt into it finger tight.. The direction of the roll on the wheel ensures the bolt can't back out so I leave it loose.... THEN if I am 30 miles fro home and the roller gives out.. I just grab a new one out of the tool box and screw it on there finger tight and go again... :thumbsup:

i also used a primary chain adjuster shoe from a Harley as a guide one time. i needed it to keep the chain from hitting the engine plate and it worked great. you can get them for about $4 at any Harley dealership.

delray

here is one of my projects with a roller wheel that i machine out a grove for the chain to ride on. works good and also keeps the chain noise down too.:smile:

also you could go with a fix mount adjustment like the doodle bugs have.

Here is one I built. It serves more as a tensioner for my application. But it's a roller skate wheel and bed frame. Then I built my guard right off of it. Search Delrays threads. He has made some very nice one's that mount to the frame. Also, maybe post a photo of your situation. It's not to often you need one..

Thats damn good thinking Randy, we all seam to agree on a slot in the wheel, but A LOT of people aren't smart enough to make a good long arm for the tensioner to ride on, and attach the spring right up near the wheel.. Many people will use a real short arm or the spring not choked up far enough.. And it just bounces wildly something fierce. EXTREME chain lash... :doah: That long one like that gives you far far more leverage pulling the chain into the system.. :thumbsup:

I went from wondering what I can do TO having a parts list of stuff to find/buy!!

Thanks so much.
Don't buy anything. My steel is bead frames from peoples trash, and the roller skates are out of the trash as-well.

I personally like Delray's but in my case I did a jack shaft delete and needed it to keep the chain from hitting the plate and also to keep it snug through the suspension travel. It works real well.

delray

The Restore Kid
Many people will use a real short arm or the spring not choked up far enough.. And it just bounces wildly something fierce.
short arm is not what causes the chain to bounce. more like a soft spring would cause that type of problem. just have to makesure you use a good stiff spring...........