Chain slop...hitting chainguard. Driving me crazy!

Guys...I noticed that the chain on my son's Coleman CT100U has too much slack and it banging against the chain guard while riding, especially when riding over bumps. At this point I've adjusted the tensioner and when that didn't work, I moved the engine forward. I still have more slack than I'd like and so far none of this has prevented the chain from hitting the guard. :mad2: Any suggestions? Have any of you had to remove a link or two to get a proper fitment? I realize the chains need to have some slack and cannot be overly tight, but hopefully tight enough to prevent this from happening.

As always....thanks for all your input and valuable insights. This forum is the best and I really appreciate those who have responded to my previous posts as I have a bit of catching up to do, being a newer member here.

Tango, Definitely remove one link from your chain and see how that works. If it is then too short or tight; go to Home Depot etc. and buy what they call a "half link". You might also want to consider buying a new chain. When chains get old and used they tend to stretch and get sloppy. Hope this helps. Ogy

buckeye

Ogy might be onto it.
If it is the stock chain, upgrade would be worth your time and money.
East stuff first, eventually you will need new chain anyway.
RLV gold on Gold.

With it being a new bike, I doubt the chain needs shortening, unless it's already been stretched by overtightening (the chain on my CT100U was overly tight when I got it). See the CT100U Owner's Manual for specified slack. Remove the clutch cover, pull the upper run of the chain tight (by applying pressure to the lower run) and check the clearance between the chain and guard. If it's less than 3/4" to 1", I'd raise the forward end of the chain guard. The forward end of the guard is roughly in the middle of the chain's upper run, where the chain would have the most movement. Also check that the chain is centered in the guard; the chain may be hitting on the side(s). If you remove the chain guard, you should be able to see where the chain is hitting it.

(I know it's a new minibike due to OP's other threads)

Last edited:
With it being a new bike, I doubt the chain needs shortening, unless it's already been stretched by overtightening (the chain on my CT100U was overly tight when I got it). See the CT100U Owner's Manual for specified slack. Remove the clutch cover, pull the upper run of the chain tight (by applying pressure to the lower run) and check the clearance between the chain and guard. If it's less than 3/4" to 1", I'd raise the forward end of the chain guard. The forward end of the guard is roughly in the middle of the chain's upper run, where the chain would have the most movement. Also check that the chain is centered in the guard; the chain may be hitting on the side(s). If you remove the chain guard, you should be able to see where the chain is hitting it.

(I know it's a new minibike due to OP's other threads)
Perfect! Thanks Charles and everyone else for your suggestions. I was able to adjust the chain guard and also move the motor forward ever so slightly and hold it there while tightening the nuts down. Looks like I'm now right where the chain needs to be and no more chain slop bouncing around hitting the chain guard. Thanks guys. Appreciate you guys a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect! Thanks Charles and everyone else for your suggestions. I was able to adjust the chain guard and also move the motor forward ever so slightly and hold it there while tightening the nuts down. Looks like I'm now right where the chain needs to be and no more chain slop bouncing around hitting the chain guard. Thanks guys. Appreciate you guys a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:thumbsup: