Chaparral Frame Questions????

O.K. I find a Chaparral project, What I believe is a Bullet 172. So my wife and I drive about 350 miles round trip to get it. I trade a rat rod Schwinn Stingray (not a real) Krate bicycle for it. All the way home I am pretty stoked.

I get it into my little shed and try shoe horning a Tec H50 into it. It won't fit. By my eyeball when sizing it up when I picked it up, it looked like it would fit. So after consulting my laptop, I find that what I have is frame for the 80cc 2 smoker version. It has two tubes coming from the top center of the frame down to the lower frame.

Both the carb and the exhaust will hit these bars. On the Bullet 172 frame these bars are not there. I would have plenty of room.

Here are some pics:

I will take a better pic of the frame tomorrow...

View attachment 59192

A Bullet 172 pic I found online:

View attachment 59193

I looked around for a Fuji 80cc engine, it did not look promising. But I still think this frame could build into a great mini. But, to do it I will either need a custom manifold and exhaust (there still may not be enough clearance). Or I can modify the down bars that are in the way. I was thinking notching the frame and then welding in steel.

I know that you should never drill or cut a frame, but the way I see it, those bars are not on the Bullet frame. I am still going to have some support. Both areas to be clearanced will have metal shaped and welded back in.

So how do y'all think I should go about this bike?

BTW- the frame and tank looks really good. I think a torque converter and the Tec H50 would make a fun bike. And to be honest, I like the looks of the down tubes.

All advice and opinions welcome.

Last edited:

markus

wern't those intended for small block tec's= "172" designation? Did you try and HS40 in it compared to your H50, they center the carb behind the engine.

fistfullabar

i think your right looks like the 2 stroke engine bike yeah you got the cooler one t 95 it came with fuji engine real hard to find parts are out there but i never ran across a whole running engine maybe you could find something like this 2 stoke go-kart engine

wern't those intended for small block tec's= "172" designation? Did you try and HS40 in it compared to your H50, they center the carb behind the engine.
I do not have any HS motors. After the first of the year, we are planning on buying some. My wife's Rupp has to have an HS motor, the Sprint we are getting needs one and this could probably use one.

I will wait until I can test fit an HS in it before I cut anything.:grind:

Does anyone have pics of an H50 and HS50 side by side?

Here's a H and HS together. If the H has a low mount, it wiil be about 3/4" shorter. Still taller and thicker/wider than the HS though.

Thank you! One of those may just do the trick.

I have spent the better part of the morning on the phone trying to track something down localy.

Here is a pic of the area in question. The H50 is close to fitting. When I get my hands on an HS, I will see how that fits.

I must say though, the H50 looks good sitting in there it fills that gap nicely.