chevy guys school me.

So I know alot of you guys have other hobbies and I'm getting a 93 firebird with a lt1 motor.

I want to know were is the best bang for my buck performance wise.

I'm looking to spend about 3k on the drive train.

Jesse, let us know if the engine has been modified at all...then do a compression check on all the cylinders and then squirt some oil in the cylinders and check again write down what you find out and let us know.Make sure you write down your findings before and after the oil.Then we can get down to business...show some pics.

Oldsalt

Unless you are running a standard trans and plan on tubbing it so you can get some big meats on the ground there is no reason to change the rear axle. If it is a standard or auto there is no reason to change ether unless it is to be a purpose built machine...I'm guessing it is a street car. So if you have 3 grand to dump in the drive train put it all in the engine. BUT BE VERY CAREFUL. This intake and that big carb and those cool headers and a killer cam that has a neat looking toruque/HP graph will make it go slower than stock. Your machine weights right at 4000 lbs without you in it. Too much carburation [if you plan on no EFI] and too fat a cam, which would sorta work in a 3000 lb. car will be a big mistake. There are a couple of good small block Chevy books that you, and this is my advice, should read. It is possible that you will see that it will be, overall, hard to beat the LT1 bone stock without spending a whale of a lot more than 3 grand.

So I know alot of you guys have other hobbies and I'm getting a 93 firebird with a lt1 motor.

I want to know were is the best bang for my buck performance wise.

I'm looking to spend about 3k on the drive train.
Stay away from the lt1....its junk! The dam opti sparks go out constantly. Its a retarded design. Also in 93 Fire bird/TAs they have an OBD1 computer system....junk. You wont be able to tune the car. If you are just really in love with the car...plan on putting at least an LS1 in it and carb it. Unless you have an obd2 harness and want to do the swap. You would spend 3 grand getting an lt1 to do what an ls1 does stock.

I would stay away from the car period if I was you. Depending on how much the car is....take your 3,000 mod money and buy a full bolt on ls1 car. You can get em all day long for 5,0000 You will have a much better platform to build on.

Take it from somebody who has had 3 of them and spent a ton on mods. Had 2 nitrous cars and one blower car... Nobody wants an LT1 car these days. Long live the LS series of engines..........at least if ya gotta drive a chevy that is. (Im sorry)

Here was the 93 I bought for my wife right after she blew up a 95 TA LT1 on a 150 shot at the track. Its a 383 stroker with a v1 blower on 11bs of boost. It put down 458 through a stalled auto and ran pretty good....every other day. LT1s suck! P.S. close to 500hp and 10 bolts (rear end) go BOOM if you hook hard.

Dyno Time - YouTube

But after all I just told you....if you still want the car. A blower is the best investment. V1s are cheap.You cant run much boost on that motor....or spray either. Cast pistons...........more junk I tell ya. LOL....Good luck

Last edited:
I drive an LT-1 daily with no problems:shrug:

The opti spark is the weak link, but there is more than one conversion kit out there if it really bothers you.

joekd

Heads, exhaust and gears. Best things to spend money on no matter what engine it is.

For a 93 LK1 I would say just throw a loud exhaust on it and enjoy the thing while banking the $$ to put toward a better car to build later on

joekd

A Whipple Supercharger 50% increase in horsepower, and it will run on pump gas!
For 3K the only whipple he is ever going to find is used and in desperate need of a rebuild plus it would never fit under a stock firebird hood

well the guy I am getting the car from has a 94 firebird that he has done some work to and it stomps all over the street cars around here. And I think I will check around on the net some more.

For 3K the only whipple he is ever going to find is used and in desperate need of a rebuild plus it would never fit under a stock firebird hood
They dont even make a whipple for LT1 cars.

well the guy I am getting the car from has a 94 firebird that he has done some work to and it stomps all over the street cars around here. And I think I will check around on the net some more.
Trust me my friend...... Ive street raced a LOT. LT1s are not the way to go. A stock LT1 will put out between 260 and 275 rwhp. Stock Ls1 will put out 315 to 330 rwhp all day long.

It all depends on what you want and how fast you wanna go though. Around my neck of the woods you have to have a 10 sec car that hooks on the street or you wont even get invited out on the racing street scene.

Ive had almost every combo out there....from old school small and big blocks...to high tech boosted combos. My current 450 ci windsor small block has layed ruin to Everything around these parts for a while now. But the dam LS7 boys are starting to catch up.( 20,000 in mine...8,000 in theirs)

You cant beat an LSxx platform for cost..reliability...ease of mods..and hp per ci. Shit......I might even get one if they come out with a direct port like they have been talking about.