Chinese ATV Engine Swap w/212cc Predator Engine

As many of you may or may not know, Chinese ATV's are poo...

Ours broke down, died, and never wanted to spend the money to repair them for how low quality they were. Instead, I got the bright idea of stripping the motor, welding on some motor mounts and putting a 212cc Predator engine in.

If this interests you guys, I will go ahead and make more in depth videos and graphical posts to show you my progress and what's been happening.

I went ahead and made a quick video the other day, and I mean quick. Grabbed my phone and pulled the ATV out and prayed to god it started on it's first pull. (Of course after putting fuel in it). I got a few lines wrong and you can't hear me over the engine very well, and I start to blabber.

You'll hear the engine @50% throttle at the end of the video (thumb throttle is limited to 50% max. Not looking to blow up an engine or give too much power to a tiny ATV.

[YOUTUBE]dtFKmI9us4Q[/YOUTUBE]​

Description:
- 212cc Predator (6.5hp)
- Predator Air Filter Kit
- 140 Emulsion Tube
- Jets (0.036 & 0.037)
- Exhaust harvested from previous engine.
- Throttle is modified using older thumb throttle.

Nice job man. Iv got a chinese quad like that its a bit bigger than yours 110cc i think yours was probrobly a 50. The engine on it is great its the rest of the quad thats crap :laugh: But alot of guys do what you did and swap on a predator. Looks like a good fit

Nice job man. Iv got a chinese quad like that its a bit bigger than yours 110cc i think yours was probrobly a 50. The engine on it is great its the rest of the quad thats crap :laugh: But alot of guys do what you did and swap on a predator. Looks like a good fit
It was a 70cc model I believe?
We also have a 110cc model (same engine for both, just different sized frames) that is a bit larger. I plan on doing it to the larger one too later on. It was a gorgeous fit once we got the mounts in. All that is left is finding a custom sprocket to fit the right size bolts and inner diameter hole. (The biggest pain so far).

We still have the older engine but I believe it's nearly impossible to run it without the mini computer and wires it required before :shrug: It would be cool to strap that into a gokart or something similar

Get a Comet torq-a-verter on there, and you'll be all set. Try to use a plain clutch, and it'll probably burn out quickly.
Why do you say that? We have yet to do anything about it. It's mainly going to be used on flat surfaces. We have a back dirt road that we will ride around on. Other than that, how is it any different than a gokart or minibike using a clutch/chain?

I AM CONVERTING A QUAD TO A GO CART AND USED A PREDATOR JUST FINISHED THE CHAIN AND CLUTCH SETUP, I WENT WITH THE TORQUE CONVERTOR JUST FOR THE BIGGER TIRES, I USED THE STOCK AXLE AND SPROCKET THE ONE THE ATV HAD WAS A 428 PITCH CHAIN I FOUND THAT IF YOU GET A 40/41 CLUTCH THE 428 CHAIN FITS , IT IS A LITTLE WIDER BUT THAT IS ALL. CANNOT SAY WHAT THE LONGEVITY IS YET BUT CAN TELL YOU 428 CHAIN IS PRETTY DARN HUSKY.:scooter:

I AM CONVERTING A QUAD TO A GO CART AND USED A PREDATOR JUST FINISHED THE CHAIN AND CLUTCH SETUP, I WENT WITH THE TORQUE CONVERTOR JUST FOR THE BIGGER TIRES, I USED THE STOCK AXLE AND SPROCKET THE ONE THE ATV HAD WAS A 428 PITCH CHAIN I FOUND THAT IF YOU GET A 40/41 CLUTCH THE 428 CHAIN FITS , IT IS A LITTLE WIDER BUT THAT IS ALL. CANNOT SAY WHAT THE LONGEVITY IS YET BUT CAN TELL YOU 428 CHAIN IS PRETTY DARN HUSKY.:scooter:
I THINK CAPS ARE WAY TO UNDER-USED THESE DAYS:laugh:

I THINK CAPS ARE WAY TO UNDER-USED THESE DAYS:laugh:
ME TOO THAT IS WHY I LOVE THEM

ACTUALLY WHEN AT WORK EVERYHTING IN MY WORK SOFTWARE USES CAPS SO I JUST LEAVE IT THAT WAY, SO MAY BE I AM A LITTLE LAZY ------- OR A LOT, BUT I AM WHAT I AM.:laugh:

BUT DON'T WORRY I MAKE UP FOR IT WHEN I AM AT HOME I JUST USE LOWER-CASE WHICH IS JUST AS ANNOYING TO PEOPLE I THINK.

IF I AM STRESSING A POINT I GO BOLD WHEN I TYPE I THINK THAT ACTUALLY IS THE BEST WAY

ME TOO THAT IS WHY I LOVE THEM

ACTUALLY WHEN AT WORK EVERYHTING IN MY WORK SOFTWARE USES CAPS SO I JUST LEAVE IT THAT WAY, SO MAY BE I AM A LITTLE LAZY ------- OR A LOT, BUT I AM WHAT I AM.:laugh:

BUT DON'T WORRY I MAKE UP FOR IT WHEN I AM AT HOME I JUST USE LOWER-CASE WHICH IS JUST AS ANNOYING TO PEOPLE I THINK.

IF I AM STRESSING A POINT I GO BOLD WHEN I TYPE I THINK THAT ACTUALLY IS THE BEST WAY
:thumbsup:

i will agree that chinese stuff in general is kinda crappy, but you are only replacing a chinese honda clone with a different chinese honda clone. I personally think the 50-110 motors are a big step up from sideshaft... overhead cam, real oil pump, alternator, transmission built in. they run great and last a long time if you keep the oil changed.

the junkiest part of the chinese four wheelers is the actual chassis... and if prepared properly they can last a lot longer than they do assembled from the importer (often very bad job) make sure to tighten EVERYTHING especially the hubs. if the rear splines are loose and worn from being loose before, a round of electrical tape can make a world of difference. always check them every so often because a slightly loose hub will wear on the splines. make sure there is a spacer between the front wheel bearings, and if there isnt a grease nipple you should add one (i just did on one of mine) because chinese bearings seem to not come greased at all, just packing oil to keep from rusting on the boat. same for rear axle bearings, there should be a grease nipple in the middle but many do not have them.

if you do these things your china ATV will last much longer. replace any important bolts with automotive grade hardware, also replace any rubber lines, and never trust the fuel filters that come with them.

looks like a good job swapping and if you are not into having the wiring to mess with its a good idea. ive got a tiny framed 50 ATV that i put the motor on a chopper, now its just a frame no body. got a jeep powerwheels body to go on it, and decided to skip buying a battery and rewiring and just install a honda 4hp sideshaft instead. ive got a 50cc honda moped muffler im going to try on it to see how quiet i can get hopefully without losing too much power.