Chopped up my other Baja

Should I mount the fenders up or down?

• fenders up

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • fenders down

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While waiting on the last few parts for my MB165 that I'm adding rear suspension to I got bored. And after looking at this bike I noticed the rear part of the frame was bad crooked and the engine plate needed some welding! Some how it turned into a whole new project! :hammer::shrug:

So I decided I wanted a little more ground clearance, a better looking rear frame section, and a little less rake. Now that that is done I'm trying to decide what type of seat to put on the bike. I think I'm going to order a solo seat and see how that looks. If I don't like it I guess I can always build one.

Grab a couple of shocks and make it a springed seat! would look pretty cool on that! I say the seat should be long enough to be even with the rear axle. Shouldnt be too hard to make too!

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to order one of these seats and see how it looks. After taking a few measurements I think the size of the seat will be perfect.

NEW Solo Seat W Springs Chopper Motorcycle Harley Black: eBay Motors (item 360261304350 end time Jun-09-10 10:19:23 PDT)

I'm hope I get all of this chopping and rebuilding out of my system before I start on my Rupp and Fox bikes! After I finish these two Baja bikes I'm going to cut up and modify one of my Murray's, I have never been one to leave anything stock. :doah: Oh well at least I'm having fun! :scooter:

I ordered the solo set with springs and I also decided to build one maybe two myself. I've never tried to do any upholstery work before so I figured it's time! A couple of months ago I picked up an old industrial sewing machine off CL for $25 so here I go. If it looks like :censure: I'll regroup and send it to kbs8ball or someone who knows what they are doing.

Here are a couple of pics of the two seat pans that I cut out today. I can't make up my mind on which one to go with so I may build them both and see which one I like best. If nothing else it'll be good practice for the future, I don't see my mini bike habit going away any time soon!

The first 2 pics are one seat pan and the second to are of the other pan or should I say board. Let me know what you guys think.

The solo seat I ordered came in today and after seeing it I don't think I'm even going to try to finish the 2 seats I started! :laugh: I may try to finish them later on for practice when I don't have as much going on. Here are a couple of pics of it just sitting on the frame.

I'm heading to the shop to mount it now! :grind::weld:

I got the solo seat mounted and I'm happy with it. So I started to mount the rear fender and thought I'd look at my options before I went too far! This was supposed to be a quick build while I was waiting for parts for my other Baja.

I'm sure I know the answer before I ask but what do you guys think finders up or fenders down? The only reason I ask is that I get lazy from time to time or should I say all the time! To mount them up is much easier but I think down is the way to go! If I mount them down I will either build some fender struts for the front or I could use some 1 7/8" clamps and mount them directly to the forks. The back is easy no matter which way I go.

Here is a few pics, let me know what you guys think! And if you have a better way to mount the front fender please share.

Also this is going to be a Military themed mini! I will also be adding a real gas tank in the future, as soon as I can find a nice cafe racer tank that won't break the bank. And yes, the square headlight is going to come off now that I have a definite direction to take the bike in!

It will be OD green and flat black. This is going to be the first of 2 Military bikes. This is going to be an old school mini and I think my other MB 165 with rear suspension is going to be a Gulf war era tan and flat black mini.

As a disabled vet myself, I feel the need to pay homage to both the past, the present, and future brave troops from all branches. Without their sacrifice we would not have our freedom!

I know there are other members here who are active military and veterans themselves, so to all of you, thank you for your service! No matter what ones political views are this is the one group we have to stand behind and support when they need our help!

I finally managed to get the seat mounted yesterday and today I was getting frustrated trying to figure out how to mount the front fender so I took a break. The extended strut mount idea is out, buy the time I mount the fender high enough to clear the compression cycle of the front wheel and tire it looked like :001_9898:

I'm going to try and find some billet 1 7/8" clamps. I really don't want to use standard muffler clamps but it's looking like I may have to. If I remember correctly I think I ran across some a couple of months back. I was doing some tube replacement on a buddy's jeep that he rolled and I think I stumbled across some on one of the off road chassis web sites. :shrug: Now I can't find site. Do any of you know where I can find some billet clamps?

I threw the bike together (just the bare essentials) for a test ride to see how it would handle with 10% or so less rake. Wow what a difference, the bike does not feel as heavy or lazy as it did before!

I also wanted to test my engine mods to see how much they helped. I put another spring on the gov. and replaced the valve springs with some stock gx160 springs and set the lash to zero. Before the mods the bike would only pull 3000 rpm ( maybe 15-20mph just guessing) and now it pulls an easy 4800 rpm. I don't want to chance it till I get a billet rod in it. I would like to put a billet flywheel on it but I also want to keep the lighting coil, guess I can get a Honda flywheel, that would make me feel a little better!

Anyway, if you guys know where I can pick up some clamps that would be suitable for mounting my front fender please let me know, it will be greatly appreciated!

i know this isn't right place but being a newb i cant send a pm. Happen to know of any decent baja heat/warrior minis for sale here in n. ala? checking CL but would like to find one with TAV2.

thanks.

Thanks Gear Dog!

Hills, you may want to check the Nashville CL. It covers southern TN and there is always 1 or 2 of them listed. I've never ran across one for sale with a Tav-2 unit, maybe you'll get lucky.

Well I finally have the front fender mount tacked up. I wanted to use clamps on the lower forks but that didn't work out, the clamps bowed the top of the aluminum housing enough that the forks would not move at all!

So i decided to build some lowering struts for the fender. It's setting 3.5" above the tire now, I don't think the forks will ever cycle that much, but that's as close as I want to mount it. Here are a few pics, let me know what you guys think.

I just sold mine and it had a tav2 but!

I live in Michigan! It did 55 with the upgrade springkit but I got bored with it and sold it for 500 Cash! Was a nice bike but i want an el burro now!

Pics of before and after the seat was covered in Burlap! You Like? :grind:

Still a Trucking, that is one nice MB165 you had there! I wouldn't be surprised if you end up missing it in 6 months time. :thumbsup: The burlap was a nice touch!

Still a Trucking, that is one nice MB165 you had there! I wouldn't be surprised if you end up missing it in 6 months time. :thumbsup: The burlap was a nice touch!
Thanks Took 10 hours a day 3 days to get it to look and drive just perfect!:hammer:

They are on CL in Metro Detroit all the time so Ill be getting anouther one in the future! When I have the cash to spend!:shrug: