Chrome tank dent?

The Superflea that is being shipped to me has a dent (recoil handle) on the top of the chrome tank. How do you repair a dent like this and have it chromed? Obviously, you can't use Bondo to get it perfectly even. Do I need to find someone who can still do leading?

Fred

Not sure how well chrome would stick to lead....or if it would stick at all..:shrug:

I think silver solder is the preferred filler in this situation.....or maybe brazing...

Good info guys, I didn't even think about braze or silver solder. I'm thinkin' this going to be a pricey resto but it is a Superflea so I think it's warranted. :wink:

You could also start the ball rolling by calling your local paintless dent removal service. Those guys have tools that can reach into a really tight spot (like down the gas filler hole) and knock the dent out from the backside. I had it done on my car and the result was amazing. Just like it was never there. Maybe they can't get rid of your dent entirely, but it could reduce the a mount of filler you'll need. Even when brazing, less filler is better.

Paintless dent repair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes I would bet it can be pulled out if its not too deep or creased . Chrome seems to be more forgiving than paint as far as chipping when its worked around

I've heard of a hot glue type repair for dents without creases, you glue a stud on and pull the dent out. You need to do it right but if it can be simple and inexpensive you win all around. Good luck with it.:thumbsup:

I just had a crazy thought that may work
Fill the tank with water and freeze it , as it freezes the ice will expand and pop the dent
But it may swell the ends too
Just a thought it would be good to test on an old tank

I just had a crazy thought that may work
Fill the tank with water and freeze it , as it freezes the ice will expand and pop the dent
But it may swell the ends too
Just a thought it would be good to test on an old tank
that definatly sounds risky. probrobly end up buckling out the whole thing. Another thing people do on crushed porsche oil lines is fill them with a little air pressure and heat up the crushed areas. those are plain brass though. It would discolor the chrome

the water trick works but can take 2 or 3 tries to git the dent back out
did it on a chrome z50 back in the 90's
remember to slosh some penetrating oil in the tank a few times after draining the water to prevent rust
also remove the petcock and seal the tank before freezing
other wise its just a waiting and checking game

A friend of mine tried the compressed air trick on his motorcycle's gas tank. He ruined the tank, but at least he didn't get hurt. They are not meant to be pressurized. :scared:

have used water to push out a dent in a tank . its a long slow way but can be safely done if ya careful . dont fill it full and cap it youll pop it , start filling it with the cap off you want the tank to be full of ice when its done as in you keep adding little water and let it freeze . ones you have a idea how much the tank hold in ice . let it thaw and put in a little more water like a pop cap or so and cap it let it freeze . it will push out the dents a little and stop . then if you want more thaw and add a little more .you will have to get it to seal shut tho no vent in the cap . and remember a little goes a long long ways .

as for a filler in the dent if you look alot of plate shops use lead or other solder to fill in pits and copper over that to get a good base . if you have a shop your going to use call them and ask what kinds of filler they use or like to have on parts . then you can do the prep and just tell them what you have used to do it .
i have seen soldering flux that will tin chrome and not to $$$ marquet had some . maybe ruby fluid would work .
you would want a very soft flame as in weak small torch . think one of them 5$ pencil ones . as you want it to heat slowly so to give ya time to push the solder in and build it up in the low spots .