Cleaning engine

Valocalrep

OK so i decided to clean off my engine this weekend before i put it back on the mini. I have been doing a lot of research on here and i have a few different options
A) Homemade soda blaster AircooledTech's Tools-On-The-Cheap - DIY Soda Blaster

B)Gunk and a toothbrush Buy Solder Seal/Gunk Engine Brite Gel Heavy-Duty Engine Degreaser (15 oz.) EBGEL at Advance Auto Parts

C) Any other good idea

Has anyone done either of those if so how did it work out for you. A
Also what all do i need to tape off and or cover so the cleaner or soda doesnt get into the engine. First time cleaning a motor so any advise helps. Sorry for asking the same question as every other person.

MB165

Are you going to paint it too?
i got one myself that needs painted and have been kicking around how to prep it.

Valocalrep

Thanks Tom i have been kicking that idea around

Are you going to paint it too?
i got one myself that needs painted and have been kicking around how to prep it.
MB165 im not going to paint this one im going to leave it all natural, the other one i painted i used VHT and it came out amazing i wish we would of took pictures of it, Base was VHT chev red and all the lines on the fins were VHT black. took a LOT of taping lol

TomH

Your welcome, that is if you are going all the way with a repaint. I use dawn liquid soap or diesel fuel because it is handy for clean just clean up.

matt2

Hi Valocalrep
If you are just cleaning I get this stuff at the dollar store it is called Awesome ogange 1 dollar 22oz in a spray bottle and 1 dollar for refill bottle 60oz. This stuff works great little brushing and water. In the off topis check out Off the grid !!!!!! In 1959 I used Awesome Orange to clean that old generator.