Cleaning old engines

Well hey guys, after getting old enigne after enigne i was wondering, how do you clean you're old engines to get old caked on grease, dirt, deep rust etc.

Motra

I did this Briggs in a bead blast cabinet. It takes everything off - right to the bare metal.

And I did this Robin in a solvent tank. It was just luck that it came this clean. Usually engines have some gunk baked on that won't come off with solvent.

hoppy

really depends on the engine. In my opinion the only way to really make an engine look new new again is to tear it down. Degrease with Marine clean, i like this stuff. May need to get into the tough spots with little brushes, etc. From there you can make an aluminum block look like new with soda blasting. other materials are just to harsh for aluminum. on other types of blocks/engine parts non aluminum i prefer glass at 40-60 psi. seems to get most corrosion off and leaves a nice finish. some guys clear coat there engines the natural metal finish when done. if using anything other then soda clean the parts damn good before you put that engine back together. soda will disolve. glass and sand can real havok in an uncleaned engine. good luck.:thumbsup:

oh yah.....nice engines!!!!

I did this Briggs in a bead blast cabinet. It takes everything off - right to the bare metal...And I did this Robin in a solvent tank...
Those both look great. :thumbsup:

But you need to be careful w/media blasting. Avoid using glass beads on internal engine parts, especially aluminum pieces. The abrasive particles will embed in the metal and the chances of getting it all cleaned out are about zero. I'm lucky to have access to my pal's shop. He has two booths, one w/glass bead media for hard parts like brackets & fittings, and another w/ground walnut shells for engine parts. Ground walnut shells are easier to clean up afterward, and won't change the appearance of bare metal the same way glass does. I haven't used soda, but it sounds like a safe bet, too.

Walnut Shell Abrasive Blasting Media Grit for Stripping & Cleaning

buckeye

Oven cleaner will remove any paint you may have.
Elbow grease. Engine degreaser. Wire wheels of various sizes and types.
As a person who also doesn't have a blast cabinet at home, the stuff I mentioned has worked for me.

Buckeye's reply is spot-on with our technique, and would most likely apply to the majority of our members who I would assume do NOT have bead blasting cabinets. In addition to engine degreasers like "Gunk", we use Simple Green" (full strength) as well.

hoppy

you dont need a blast cabinet. Harbor freight sells a small tank type soda blaster that you use outside. kinda looks like a fire extinguisher.

Just watch what you guys are doing.

Anything you blast aluminum will try and mebed itself in the metal.

You migh tthink you have it clean but add some oil and see that stuff work free....

The problem with blasting outside is that regardless of what media you use, it gets everywhere. You would never point it at your head, but it will always end up in your hair. Shoes. Pockets. Everywhere.

I have a question about the oven cleaner option. Does it damage things like oil seals?

Oldsalt

I'm pretty fundamental when it comes to cleaning. First the engine is ran and proven to require no further work. Then it has its "tin" removed and any 'bodywork' done. Strong soap [like Tide laundry detergent] and HOT water is then used...a stiff bristle brush and a couple of small wire brushes assist. Then a couple of spray downs with Auto Brake Cleaner and a bit more elbow grease. It's then ready for paint. Doesn't take too long to do. My idea is that these plane-Jane minibike engines were the cheapest available, not Queens, and all had one coat paint jobs. To blast, prime and then sand and then color coat is pimping them up like a French Tart. A custom bike that is fine...an original bike? That is pushing originality. These were entry level engines with entry level paint jobs. Anyways, that is my way of looking at it.

I usually like a good paint job, but my next engine will be unpainted, and quite possibly some of it polished. I found out how good aluminum alloy can look with a little work when restoring my '69 Honda CT70. And in another forum, it was pointed out to me that paint is an insulator. I'll paint the tin, but the block will stay unpainted.

Big Jim

automotive engine cleaner and the car wash..blow it dry with the air hose. for heave crap brakleen or carb cleaner. WD40 it after to soak up the moisture.

HERE'S SOME BEFORE AND AFTER PICS OF A SUBARU/ROBIN THAT WAS ON MY SEARS ROPER WHEN I BOUGHT IT, CLEANED WITH WD40 AND BRAKE CLEANER WITH NYLON BRUSHES THEN USED SMALL BUFFING WHEELS ON A DRILL