Cleaning up threads

I went to get a few replacement taps and dies and saw some thread restorer kits. Any advantage to using these instead of a garden variety tap and die set?

when working in aluminum or any other soft metal I learned that if it still has threads left even a little go the next size up and run the bolt through the metal and make new threads and then throw the bolt you used to make new threads away and get new ones and you should be good :thumbsup:

No advantage that I know of. I believe we are better off investing our loot in the real thing.
Thats what I'd think too... I know guys that have those (Thread Chasers) but a regular tap will still cut the right thread... You can ALSO use them to actually MAKE threads, in which case you have to right tool to just go bigger like Jesse said..

I think the thread chasers advantage is they are made to follow from behind, into existing threads so it's harder to get them 1/2 thread off and cut them away gone like a real tap will do.. But then again you can mess anything up if ya do it wrong..

I'd buy real taps and make sure ya do it right like Oldsalt said.. :thumbsup:

ok, thanks guys. I kinda figured as much and at the prices they want for a full set of those things, I would rather just have the real deal.

Thread chasers are for repairing screwed up threads not making new ones. They work great! Sometimes when you run the same size tap or die over an existing thread the fit becomes too loose and you run into stripping out issues, that wont happen when you use a thread chaser. They do have a purpose, they dont just make them for nothing.

TomH

Thread chasers are for repairing screwed up threads not making new ones. They work great! Sometimes when you run the same size tap or die over an existing thread the fit becomes too loose and you run into stripping out issues, that wont happen when you use a thread chaser. They do have a purpose, they dont just make them for nothing.
Yep what he said. Chasers are for a guy that has everything or someone who wants to repair properly messed up threads.

george3

Thread chasers are cool if you dont have high quality machinist tap and dies. thread chasers dont cut as deep as a fresh hole or rod being tapped or died. on taps thay make different taper ones just run it in part way most of the time it works. on the dies the good ones are adjustable cutters on the die heads, well the ones I have do. It is nice to have a 5/8 fine thread, thread chaser for the axels.

I had a briggs crank with some messed up threads; wouldn't take a nut. Just bought a die off ebay for 4 bucks and it cleaned up the threads perfectly. Saved me a bunch on a new die or chaser.