clutch cleaning

Santa brought my son a db30 for christmas. We are learning as we go. I have had to clean and oil the clutch three or for times in one day already after about an hour of riding each time. Is this going to be a regular thing or is there something else I can do or should be doing?

DMR

Welcome to OldMiniBikes!!! Is the clutch slipping alot or something? Just oil the bushing, but dont get oil on the clutch shoes or the inside of a clutch bell. The clutch getting dirty shouldnt affect its functionality too much. Unless your going through mud or something.

when we start it. it grabs and takes off and then dies. After i clean and oil the bushing or bearing like manual says to do it runs fine for a while

Last edited:

DMR

when we start it. it grabs and takes off and then dies. After i clean and oil the bushing or bearing like manual says to do it runs fine for a while
Sounds like there might be a problem with the bushing itself, you might want to pull the clutch and see if it spins freely, make sure there is no debris jamming it up. If that doesnt work, just replace the clutch.

Thanks. I will probably give that a try. The manual says to clean and oil after five hours of use. Do you fill like that is excessive?

DMR

Thanks. I will probably give that a try. The manual says to clean and oil after five hours of use. Do you fill like that is excessive?
5 hours is reasonable if your in the dirt, sand, or dust, but if your just riding on the street you could go 10-12 hours before cleaning

ya it does seem like it is . but the clutch on these is not the best of machine work . i have a motor off one checking it out and playing with it ,the clutch pads have a crap finish on them . where they hit the bell there is some massive lumps , the bushing is too small for the load . just oil and clean it often and it should help give it some more life .:shrug: