Clutch Problem - Tapered Shaft

Hi All,
I'm brand new to the site and I have a question.
I just purchased a minibike, which I was told was a Grand Prix. My problem is that the clutch was all hosed up and when I finally got it off I see that the shaft is tapered for the first 3/4 of an inch and then it measures .80" for the remainder with NO Keyway. The motor is a Honda G200. It appears the previous owner just pounded the Max-Torque on and tightened the bolt. Anyone have any ideas? I have built several go-karts, but never had an engine with a tapered shaft. Should I just forget it and head to Harbor Freight?

That sounds like it is a generator motor.
One option is to take the crank out and have it turned down by your local machine shop.
The machine shop in our area charges about $40.00 :grind:

Welcome to the site!:thumbsup: Given the fact it's a Geniuine Honda that's a tough call, I'd check on having it machined down and a keyway cut. The HF clone pales in comparison to the real thing but if you're in a hurry just get the clone. If you're in the Honda cheap enough just keep it and build a performance engine out of it with a new or machined crank!:thumbsup:

Thanks guys.. I was afraid of that. I think I'll opt for the Harbor Freight for now or possibly I can pick up a Briggs and then see what I can do for the G200. I like the idea of building it up for a later installation. I figure the motor was free given the cost of the bike.

Thanks guys.. I was afraid of that. I think I'll opt for the Harbor Freight for now or possibly I can pick up a Briggs and then see what I can do for the G200. I like the idea of building it up for a later installation. I figure the motor was free given the cost of the bike.
That's the minibiking spirit! That Honda will make a fine performance engine, the clone will be fine for now. I have two and they take a hammering, so far so good!:thumbsup:

if the motor is in good shape otherwise id keep a watch for one on ebay. i had a messed up shaft on my gc160 and i found a good used one on there for 25$ shipped. It just took a few weeks for one to pop up

Thanks for all your inputs. Someone mentioned that HF is having a sale this next weekend and the 6.5 motors will be $99. If so, I will probably pick one up.

Tom S., Yep another Portlander. Live up by Sunset High School.

Thanks again.

Picked up a 6.5 clone last weekend at the HF Sidewalk sale. $99 and they took the 20% off coupon. So for $79 it's worth a shot. I'll get back to the Honda G200 at a later time.