coil test help!

pickd up a used 6.5 clone this week. Has no spark. Disconnected switch and low oil sensor. It has oil in it. Still no spark. I took the coil off.
Is there a way to test the coil?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if there's any way to test the coil, but you can eliminate all the other possibilities. It's probably not a spark plug, but it couldn't hurt to get a new one. Make sure the black wire coming off the coil isn't grounded to the motor, and finally check the clearance between the flywheel and the coil, it should probably be about 0.020". after all that's done, if you still don't have spark it's the coil.

Thanks....Yeah i tried a few other plugs that i know are good. No spark.
Don't know if i want to spend 30 dollars on a coil when i can get a brand new motor for a hundred.
Guess i'll keep it for parts.

Mike, did you check the ground wire/kill switch wire all the way back to the coil...make sure its not grounded to metal any where.
Next look up inside the plug wire plastic housing and you should see a copper/brass type connector that goes over the spark plug.....It should have a couple of slots for a screw driver to fit in....screw it out and check the spring and the resistor connections , If they are rusty or corroded clean them up with sand paper, file, wire brush and reinstall...set coil gap to flywheel about .030 . Hope this might help/

I've also hear do guys running car sparkplug wires on these motors. Some like not having the resistor. That is typically on a fairly modified motor, but it might work for you? If you've got any old cable laying around, or maybe know someone that does...

OND's advice is solid.

That resistor in the spark plug boot can burn open. It can be tested for resistance with a multimeter, or as a quick test you can bypass it. Remove the boot by unscrewing it from the spark plug wire wire... straighten a small paperclip and insert it into the exposed spark plug wire. Test for spark by placing the bare paperclip near the engine block and spinning the engine over.

In a pinch you can bend the paperclip around the spark plug tip, then test fire the engine.

Mike, did you check the ground wire/kill switch wire all the way back to the coil...make sure its not grounded to metal any where.
Next look up inside the plug wire plastic housing and you should see a copper/brass type connector that goes over the spark plug.....It should have a couple of slots for a screw driver to fit in....screw it out and check the spring and the resistor connections , If they are rusty or corroded clean them up with sand paper, file, wire brush and reinstall...set coil gap to flywheel about .030 . Hope this might help/
The ground wire is unplugged and taped up. I removed (unscrewed) the spark plug cap from the wire and screwed the top of the spark plug directly into the wire.
Still no spark.
The magnet on the flywheel seems strong so i am quite sure it is the coil.

Thanks for the help.

how much would it cost for me to send it to you? I'm about an hour from BMI. I bet it would ship to me for a couple bucks.
Thanks for the offer .That's nice of you but I just found one on ebay for 12 bucks with free delivery. (from china).
I don't want to spend too much money on the motor because i don't know if there's anything else wrong with it and brand new ones are about a hundred bucks.

I've also hear do guys running car sparkplug wires on these motors. Some like not having the resistor. That is typically on a fairly modified motor, but it might work for you? If you've got any old cable laying around, or maybe know someone that does...
What is the resistor for? Is it a noise surpressor ?