Coleman CT200U Will Not Start!

Hi Everyone,

Happy Friday!

I recently bought a year and a half old Coleman CT200U! It has been riding great and then I wanted to upgrade. I purchased the GPS Stage 1 Kit and after the install, the bike does not start. I purchased the new carburetor as well, because the newer models of the bike have a EPA approved carburetor that would not work with the Stage 1. When I try to start the bike, it sounds as if there is no ignition. It sounds the same as if I am pulling it while off. Only air is moving through. I do not think I am installing the new carburetor incorrectly. I am using the original plastic gasket in the back of the carburetor, and then the new paper one in the front. I have also tried various versions and combinations of these gaskets. I then decided to put back the old carburetor to test it. It would not start! I then thought this is a ignition issue. So, I removed the kill switch wire from the ground and it worked! So, I thought the issue is the kill switch. But then, I put back the new carburetor and tried to start it again without the ground, and it does not work again. It still sounds as if there is no ignition. I am at a loss now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

All the best,
tryingmybest

SAS289

Welcome to the forum.

When the engine does not start have you pulled the plug to verify spark or no spark? When the engine started after you removed the kill switch ground how did you shut off the engine?

Welcome to the forum.

When the engine does not start have you pulled the plug to verify spark or no spark? When the engine started after you removed the kill switch ground how did you shut off the engine?
Hi,

There is spark but it was weak so I replaced the plug and nothing has changed. I shut off the engine by placing the wire on the front metal part of the engine, thanks!

SAS289

OK. If you shut it off with the kill switch ground wire to engine then either the kill switch was in the engine off position, or the switch is bad. Or it just happened to start for some reason at that moment.

Work to get it started with both wires of the kill switch disconnected. It is not needed to run the engine. If you get it started just pull the plug wire to shut it off. Work to get consistent start ups first. Then connect the kill switch and test.

And you do have the stock Hisun engine right? It shouldn't have an oil low sensor to be concerned with.

Remember that these are 1 or 2 pull start engines. By the 4th or 5th pull you should stop and try figure out what is wrong

The bike is fixed! I made a rookie mistake with the gaskets, which turned on the engine but it would stall on choke. I tightened the idle screw and it’s all set! Thank you all!

SAS289