Crankshaft Question

I could use a little help here fellas. I'm rebuilding a 4hp Briggs model 100252....type 0170-01. The crankshaft has a splined end and not usable for installing a clutch. I have another 4hp Briggs model 100232....type 0254-02 with a keyed crankshaft sitting on the shelf. Can I interchange the two cranks without getting into trouble? I'll appreciate any help you can give me. Ogy

OK,

Found it. the 100252 engine crank is part number 260271.
The 100232 engine crank is part number 260928.
Beyond that I can't tell. I hope these numbers help someone else to answer this.

I think the difference is the ball bearing but I am not 100% sure.

Doc

Last edited:
OK,

Found it. the 100252 engine crank is part number 260271.
The 100232 engine crank is part number 260928.
Beyond that I can't tell. I hope these numbers help someone else to answer this.

I think the difference is the ball bearing but I am not 100% sure.

Doc
You are correct Doc. I'm wondering if the only difference between the 260719 and the 260928 is the fact that the one is splined and the other is not. I've got six 4hp motors on the bench and completely disassembled. They will get a ground up restoration and brought back to factory specs. Messy, messy job. Forty five years of accumulated oil, grease, carbon, mud, and grass. Once I get all that scrubbed off and cleaned up they should be fun to work with. The last bike (number ten) went to the paint shop two days ago. Things are moving along. Ogy

Ogy,

I am mostly sure the only difference as far as you are concerned is if the crank is for ball bearing or sleeved through the side cover. If they are both the same there, you can use that crank. If they are both the same, then either side cover will work. If you are changing one to the other, you would probably need to use the side cover from the engine you took the crank from.

Doc

Last edited:
I'm going to tear down the extra motor today and see what I have. The model indicates a ball bearing on the crank. I'll see if I can't press the bearing off. Then I cam mic it and see if the two are identical. I'll let you know how it turns out Doc. Ogy

Ogy,

Any word on those engines (pesky critters that they are)??

Doc
Doc, Tore the Briggs model 100232 down today. That's after about two gallons of kerosene and two hours of scrubbing with an assortment of brushes. I now know that it was painted black. Couldn't tell prior to the cleanup. Actually, the motor is in very good shape both inside and out. I decided to use it and throw the one with the splined shaft under the bench. This one actually has the ball bearing on the shaft side of the motor. I'll spend the next week or so getting all the cases and components de-greased and cleaned up and then I'll begin the restorations. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Ogy

Last two painted??
Got any teasers pics Ogy?
Good to see ya in the shop my friend.
Tom, Picked up last bike from the paint shop yesterday. He does excellent work. All ten frames and their components are wrapped in flannel and stored neatly in ten huge boxes. At this point Ogy doesn't have the physical strength to unpack everything and take pics. I'll see if I can get Mrs. Ogy to give me a hand and maybe I'll take a pic showing four of the frames each painted in one of the four Fox colors. Thanks for checking on me. Ogy