dan weldon dead in vegas race

TomH

I didn't see it live, but caught the aftermath. RIP Dan. I hope Indycar will work more on safety, this can't continue to happen in this day and time.

Thats very sad.

These professional race drivers don't get the credit they deserve.
Tough on the body and danger.

And always the risk of a bad crash.

Very sad.

james c

he was the in race reporter, he was talking live just minutes on live tv before he died.
im blown away! i really wanted to go to that race also. he was one of the top indy car racers. he would have been next to go to nascar

It was Danika's last Indy race, what a bummer to end on, but that is irrelevant compared to a father losing his life. I pray for his wife and kids.

oldsledz

I didn't see it live, but caught the aftermath. RIP Dan. I hope Indycar will work more on safety, this can't continue to happen in this day and time.
They have a new safer car coming out for 2012, Dan has been the test driver for it. vary sad he died in the last race with the old cars.

TomH

Yeah the car will help. Lots of inexperienced drivers in IndyCar that haven't had much crash experiences . They drive like darts without feathers. Dan wasn't one of them.

MiniBike Paul

Robin Miller (a real racer!) got very specific about the problem of Indy cars on the 1 & 1/2 and 2 mile nascar tracks, and in this case combined with an extra large field (because of the $$$ offered in this special deal) - when they are flatfooting lap after lap the driver is pretty much just along for the ride and obviously (from yesterday's crash) not able to do jack when the shit hits the fan! That is why F1 and the old CART are/were on mostly road courses and the old, now gone, 1 mile and shorter tracks!

But the 800 pound gorilla, NASCAR, works good on those longer tracks and so here we are - how do you fix it?? Well, run less on those tracks, limit car count, uh let's see, that is about it! Indy cars don't work at Bristol or Martinsville, under a mile, and get scary at 1 & 1/2 up BANKED, no lifting tracks! These cars are supposed to be DRIVEN, not rode upon! The taxicab racing (which I watch and enjoy) works at all the cookie-cutter tracks just fine, too bad Indy car cannot stay away!

Weldon was cool, way tooooo bad what happened, amazing actually that it was not even worse.

I can hear all the Open wheel guys groaning already, but why not put a cage on Indy cars - they were saying yesterday that it is when they hit the catch fence cockpit first that it gets ugly, a cage would fix that!

TomH

Robin Miller (a real racer!) got very specific about the problem of Indy cars on the 1 & 1/2 and 2 mile nascar tracks, and in this case combined with an extra large field (because of the $$$ offered in this special deal) - when they are flatfooting lap after lap the driver is pretty much just along for the ride and obviously (from yesterday's crash) not able to do jack when the shit hits the fan! That is why F1 and the old CART are/were on mostly road courses and the old, now gone, 1 mile and shorter tracks!

But the 800 pound gorilla, NASCAR, works good on those longer tracks and so here we are - how do you fix it?? Well, run less on those tracks, limit car count, uh let's see, that is about it! Indy cars don't work at Bristol or Martinsville, under a mile, and get scary at 1 & 1/2 up BANKED, no lifting tracks! These cars are supposed to be DRIVEN, not rode upon! The taxicab racing (which I watch and enjoy) works at all the cookie-cutter tracks just fine, too bad Indy car cannot stay away!

Weldon was cool, way tooooo bad what happened, amazing actually that it was not even worse.

I can hear all the Open wheel guys groaning already, but why not put a cage on Indy cars - they were saying yesterday that it is when they hit the catch fence cockpit first that it gets ugly, a cage would fix that!
Yep, mile and a half oval tracks to IndyCars , are just like Talledega and Daytona is to Nascar. Restricter plate racing. Trouble is if IndyCar is going to run those tracks with open wheel cars, a complete re design is needed. It didn't look like there is any fire prevention equipment on board either, as many cars continued to burn with a conscious driver inside. Push to pass doesn't seem to be working very well either. The speed is too high for the current design cars also IMO.

I have said that for awhile..just a small cage above and around their noggins may prevent alot of serious injurys. Nascar has cages...drag racers do...why not them?