DB30 motor plate strengthening

OneCam

Sup guys, so this vibration and flexing of motor plate is driving me nuts,so I'm gonna attempt to add 1/4 mild steel plate to the bottom and add some gussetts to see if this will help some..this may be a fail but never hurts to try.lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Are you sure its the motor mount? i have the first gen doodle bug with the 8 motor slots then i drilled 8 more slots to make it where i could bolt my clone, briggs, or jacobson on it and have no problem with running any of them on it. What motor do you have on it?

OneCam

Its a 7hp Predator...the cheap thin factory plate is flexing back and forth when you crack the throttle.. none of the factory welds are broke..its just very thin metal

OneCam

I have the Promod adapter mounting plate aswell.. just looking to strengthening it some

DANP

My plate was bent pretty bad..I had to smash it with a sledgehammer. What I would like to know is will the adapter plate strengthen it any once it is bolted on?

My plate was bent pretty bad..I had to smash it with a sledgehammer. What I would like to know is will the adapter plate strengthen it any once it is bolted on?
YES, as per Brad ("Promod" on this forum) and the owner of Hotrodminibikes.com

I have the Promod plate on mine, and even with the larger footprint, the frame is still more flexible than I'd like. I'm planning on stiffening it this winter, probably fill the side gap to the frame tubes with plate and add a couple pieces of square tube underneath. Should cut down the shakes quite a bit.

Sup guys, so this vibration and flexing of motor plate is driving me nuts,so I'm gonna attempt to add 1/4 mild steel plate to the bottom and add some gussetts to see if this will help some..this may be a fail but never hurts to try.lol

How about an update? Did it make any difference/improvement?
Michael

I also found the original motor plate flexed too much, even with the adapter plate. I cut new slots in the plate so the bolts went through the mounting holes in the engine to widen the bolting foot print and then used some u channel underneath to stiffen everything up. Worked for me with my modified HF clone. See the pics in my signature.

Thanks for the follow-up- it is appreciated.:thumbsup:
So, the handlebars now vibrate MORE after the engine plate strengthening?:doah:
Michael

vwfan79

I put a steel plate on top and angle iron on the bottom against the frame and it helped a lot with the flexing but didn't do anything for the vibration. If your running a motor with any kind if power it is worth beefing up the motor plate.

I put a steel plate on top and angle iron on the bottom against the frame and it helped a lot with the flexing but didn't do anything for the vibration. If your running a motor with any kind if power it is worth beefing up the motor plate.
100% agreed. The Doodlebug engine plate thickness ( metal gauge) is significantly less that most USA made bikes. It is not an issue for that puny little stock 2.5 HP engine, but all bets are off when you drop a big engine in there with all of that torque!
Michael