Deciding authenticity or just simply reviving?

Just curious how some of you other bikers decide the approach to your project? What's the practical point for an authentic, original resto and at what point do you throw genuine originality to the wind and simply go for a revival for the fun of it?

I'm guessing it's probably an individual decision of sorts. The Toyoco I've had for three or four years will be, by no means, a detailed resto due to missing parts and more of a low-buck approach to getting it back on its wheels, so to speak, for the sake of reviving it.

Similarly, I recently acquired a '68 era Rupp bike, believed to be an XL350, and is missing quite a few parts, such as the disc brakes, original handlebars, lights, gas tank (though the mounting tabs and brackets are still there) seat, and what have you. In light of the cost to acquire genuine or very good reproduction Rupp parts, I'm not sure how authentic I will go with reviving this bike. It's certainly not a completely original bike at this stage.

Just wondering how other folks decide the direction to take with their projects?

buckeye

For me, it depends how complete a bike is when I start.

I am not near as anal about this as some are. I am just in for the fun.

S, I go with what I have and run with it. :thumbsup:

For me, it depends how complete a bike is when I start.

I am not near as anal about this as some are. I am just in for the fun.

S, I go with what I have and run with it. :thumbsup:
That's the philosophy I aim to take with this bike, I think. Perhaps once I get it disassembled I can figure out what I'll keep and what a Rupp restorer might be able to use that I can't. I may have to change the wheels out in order to utilize a generic drum brake system.
In any case, good times are the first priority... agreed!:drinkup:

90% of the bikes you find will cost more time and effort than they're "worth" to totally restore, as in nit picked, detailed restore. Only one that has a super special meaning to me would ever be worth the restore. If I ever find one, I'll do it. For the rest, just pimp em and ride em.

45t

Depends on how much money you have and want to spend on it and then add 50% more $ because it went way over budget. :laugh:

I've got a few options for engines at present, thanks to a bit of hoarding over the last couple of years. lol. I've got an ancient Power Products AH-36 two-stroke engine that's complete aside from air cleaner that would be an interesting addition, as well as a Jacobsen J321 from a snowblower, I believe. Topping that off is a freshly rebuilt 5-horse Briggs that has yet to be fired and a 2-horse Briggs minus carb and tank to which I've considered adapting a Tecumseh float carb.

Spyderdregg

Being that these bikes were built along time ago,they never got the chance to be upgraded,so I say,Upgrade them.No front suspention...Throw on some pocket bike forks.Scrub brake sucks....fab up a hydraulic brake.I ve know several guys who took classic cars and made them cool with custom touches and upgraded mechanics.(Low riders etc)As long as you ride em,who cares,one thing I hate is trailor queens.These bikes(and classic cars for that matter)where ment to be ridden(or driven),so as Gumpit said..."Clone it and ride it"if that's what you want :thumbsup:

If you don't cut, chop or maim the main components then build the way you want. Also, you can build riders for fun when company is over, and then special favorites that are close to original that only trusted friends ride. I'm not into wall hangers or man cave exhibits but that's just me. The fun thing for me when I was young was tinkering, changing motors, rattle canning but especially riding the crap out of them.

This Rupp bike I recently found I was particularly stoked due to the fact it's the first bike I've had with a rear swingarm suspension. Locally, here in Lakeview, Oregon, we've actually got a little ATV park that's, by appearances, perfect for mini bikes. Not exactly a big Supercross course for the more advanced/bigger bike riders, but I'm still amazed it's not more frequently used given it's open at no cost to the public pretty much all the time. That will be the proving grounds for whichever bike gets finished first. lol

I will be approaching my next two builds as "restomods". For the most part, they will be original, but with disc brake upgrades, different rims, and other mods to make it like I want it. Neither of these 2 builds is a rare bike, so I have no problem taking liberties and changing it.

If I had a rare bike, I would think long and hard about just how far to restore it. And take a look at the savings account....

Ryan, If you have to even think about money or cost then go the fix it up and ride it route. True "authentic restorations" are prohibitively expensive which is why less than one percent of minibikers do them. Ogy

That's true! I've never been much of a purist, even in my days as a VW enthusiast... got out of that hobby due to the expense (as soon as you talk high performance in the air-cooled VW realm, you're also talking veritable hand grenades) Minibikes are something I've loved from the time I was a kid, and really enjoyed the Bird Duck project I put together a few years ago. Fun is the first priority, no question!

I aquired my first bike back in '81 just a roller and didn't know what it was. It had mounting tabs for a motorcycle type motor so, I had welded a metal plate in place and slapped an old Briggs 2hp on it and got it going. Found out later it was a Fantic Broncco 50cc bike and even thought of scrapping it due to most of the factory parts were missing. I decided I would consider fixing it up only if I could find original parts for it. Found a guy in Michigan that was parting out the same model I had and purchased everything he had except for the motor and gas tank were already gone. I built it back up put a beefed up 5hp Briggs on it and got it running again. Not all totally original , but built the way I kind of envisioned it to be back when I originally bought it. So my theory is, build them the way you want to and have fun doing it like I did.:thumbsup:

Just wondering how other folks decide the direction to take with their projects?
Personally, I like the challenge of restoring a bike to it's original configuration to the greatest and most practical extent possible. It doesn't matter how "valuable" it is, or isn't. If it's "rare" I will spend more money and time on it. These decisions are personal and not based on the perceptions of anyone else.

For me, the only thing left is the nostalgic factor, and the mandate I place on myself to be true to what it was supposed to be, or at least to perform modifications that would have been feasible at the time the bike was built.

I ride all of mine, no matter how much effort I made in the restoration. I get no joy out of "collecting," I don't care if they're "vintage patina" and I don't care about resale value. I enjoy bringing them back to life. The worse shape they are, the happier I am to get them. (I'm trying to change though)

buckeye

That was about the best answer ever.:thumbsup:

I totally agree with you Dave. If you are not going to ride them, then what's the point. They are made for riding.
If you do as you say and get them back to as original as your wallet will allow, just think. Fourty years from now, some kid or even one of our grandkids will be doing the same thing we are today. Reviving memories.

cxbra

Full restores are wayy too many thousands of dollars, i'd rather spend it on other mini's and motorcycles. I think the REAL joy is in parts-matching survivor bikes.. Like with the old hot rods, some guys prefer a 50 year old patina over a clean build that you will be too scared of driving. Its nice seeing the age on a bike especially in 2013 where everything in this world has to be new or "updated" with some kind of computer. Its nice seeing where things came from and honoring its past.

I don't even mind finding a rigged up, extra welded brackets, mismatched, etc. Every one of those welds or change-ups probably added life to the bike and a smile to someone who otherwise may have never ridden a minibike.

I don't even mind finding a rigged up, extra welded brackets, mismatched, etc. Every one of those welds or change-ups probably added life to the bike and a smile to someone who otherwise may have never ridden a minibike.
Hm. Good way to look at that. I always cut those off, simply because I think I have a better solution. You're right though- at some time long ago, some kid said, "Dad, can you fix this for me?" And Dad broke out the arc welder and a piece off of an old combine and made it rideable again.

Yup, every time I cut or grind, I always wonder where, when, and why. They sure look good cleaned up, but may have never made it without all of the patch jobs.