Difference between 5.5 and 5hp flatheads

I picked this 5.5hp flat head today for $40..... its a good runner. I ran the numbers and it's a 1998, plain bearing block. Decal says cast iron sleeve. What is the difference between this and a normal 5hp? Is the bore and stroke the same? Camshaft? Carburetor difference perhaps?

I was looking at buying the same exact motor and thought the samething I thought the I/C blocks where double bearing ??? I was going to buy it and build it up alittle for my Harrison wildcat.

CarPlayLB

The Briggs I/C motors came as all bushing, bushing in block with roller sidecover, or dual roller. Depends upon how the client spec'd them! Most I/C blocks blocks I seen were bushing blocks and roller sidecover. They are purported stronger blocks than the full roller as there is more material around the bushing than the roller bearing!

The Briggs I/C motors came as all bushing, bushing in block with roller sidecover, or dual roller. Depends upon how the client spec'd them! Most I/C blocks blocks I seen were bushing blocks and roller sidecover. They are purported stronger blocks than the full roller as there is more material around the bushing than the roller bearing!
Good to know, thanks for the info

as ive been told about the bushing vs bearing/bushing vs full roller bearing blocks is really the application. if you are doing circle track, you want a roller side cover and bushing block, as the left turns pushes the oil towards the bushing keeping it lubed while the roller side keeps the clutch side okay during turns and picks up oil on the straights

if you are running equipment that doesnt move, full bushing blocks are fine, but for moving machines they arent a good idea.

double roller i would think be best for mini-bikes that are going to be leaned left and right. I wouldnt be as worried about the less material around the roller bearing unless i was pushing big numbers, in which case you could easily have a welder add aluminum around the bearing bore.

oh and all the IC motors are better because of the cast sleeve, but doenst denote whether it will be a bushing or bearing block. the .5 HP increase couldnt be hard considering its based on cutting edge 1940's technology... getting a .5 out of it could simply be an RPM increase in GOV, little bigger jet, etc

Fisher1983

Yes. Plain bearing is the block metal for the bearing surface. Note that some engines have a DU (brass) bushing sleeve on the flywheel side for reduced wear. I pulled my 130212 apart and found it doesnt have that so mines a plain bearing engine in every sense. Im sending it out for work and Ill have a DU bushing and extra oil holes added. Looks like a nice little engine you have there!