Different Style #35 Chain Master Link?

When I was just a youngster (40 some years ago) I had a home built go cart that used #35 chain. Most people know that if you run your mini bike or go cart long enough that you either break your chain or the clip on your master link falls off and you need to put on a new master link. You always made sure to have an extra master link around since you never knew when one would fail.

40 years ago I remember running across a different style master link that used a pin going through a hole similar to what a cotter pin does rather than a clip. You can't modify a regular master link to do this because the center pin of the link needs to be a little longer for the hole for the cotter pin. This style master link seemed to last much longer that the normal clip style master link because there is no clip to fall off.

I've looked around on line and on E-Bay, but I haven't seen any of this different style master link. Does anybody remember this different style master link and if so, where can one obtain them today?

Thanks!

Jim

TomH

Somebody on here bought a bike that had one on it I think. It looked more like a thick wire than a cotter pin though. Maybe they will chime in

Dear MM, I know exactly the type you're talking about. Back in the 50's & 60's they used one single long cotterpin. Today the practice seems to be to use two small cotterpins. Google Diamond Chain Company. They sell them. Pics attached. Ogy

TomH has it correct. it wasn't really a cotter pin, it was a single piece of wire that went through both holes and then you bend the ends of the wire over so that the wire doesn't slip out of the holes. They work real nice.

Any one know a source for this type of master link?

Hent no it wasn't an offset link or half link. I was a regular #35 chain master link that didn't use a clip.

texasfabguy - When you join two ends of a chain together how to swage over the end of the pin to make it into one solid chain? Do you use a hammer and punch to do it or is there some special tool that makes it easy? What you are doing would be a good way to go, but how do you do it?

Thanks

george3

Dear MM, I know exactly the type you're talking about. Back in the 50's & 60's they used one single long cotterpin. Today the practice seems to be to use two small cotterpins. Google Diamond Chain Company. They sell them. Pics attached. Ogy
Also the second master link you cant find in 35 it has a full lock in the back like the motorcycle ones. I have old master links that are like that. when I was a youngster that was the only masterlinks I would use, what they sell now is crap.