Difficult or expensive to restore Fuji Go Devil?

OK - I visited my parents during the holiday weekend and here's the scoop on the Go Devil.

- My dad bought it brand new.
- It is completely intact, but many parts need refinishing or refurbished.
- Only non-original parts I could find were the handlebar grips.
- Dad has the fold out "owner's manual".
- Dad has the original vinyl carrying case.
- Dad has some tools that he thinks came with it, but is not sure.
- I pulled slowly on the starter cord and the engine turns over.
- The fuel tank has been stored seperatly. It has some mild rust inside it and is dented up where the fuel valve connects on the bottom.
- One of the handlebars is stuck and won't slide up/down. The other slides, but isn't completely loose.

I took a bunch of pictures, but I left my camera at their house. :doah:

I will post those when I can.

I'm going to start researching places to help me with the restoration process. I'll need the handlebars (and I assume a few other parts) re-chromed, probably a new seat made to duplicate the old one, and I'm sure some other services.

This will be a slow project, as I'll be going to my dad's to work on it from time to time. Don't expect daily (or even weekly) updates here, but I will post as things progress.

My project plan is as follows - please correct me if I'm doing anything in the wrong order:
- Find some good service providers (chrome, upholstery, etc.)
- Find some good parts resources, either fellow forum members or businesses.
- Take everything apart: inventory, photograph, and clean as I go.
- Take the carb, engine, etc... apart and clean, photograph, inspect, and lubricate all parts & reassemble.
- Send parts out for repair or replacement as necessary.
- Put everything back together.
- Ride!

I appreciate any constructive feedback and ideas you guys can share. I'll post all the details I can so any future Fuji Motors Co. Go Devil owners will have a very good resource to start their own reparis.

I just bought a Fuji Mini-Bike today....I love it. I have a plane and it fits perfecty in my baggage compartment. I would like to buy another. I've looked on ebay and craigslist. Can't find another one. I posted here in the WTB section. Any other ideas?

I just bought a Fuji Mini-Bike today....I love it. I have a plane and it fits perfecty in my baggage compartment. I would like to buy another. I've looked on ebay and craigslist. Can't find another one. I posted here in the WTB section. Any other ideas?
78skywagon,
Welcome to OldMiniBikes forum! My dad bought this one new, so I didn't have to go searching. I think you're doing the right thing, but just use google sometimes as well. People put ads in local or unusual websites, so google might help you find those.

Was yours in fine running shape when you got it? Did you get the original storage bag with it?

I got my camera back this weekend but didn't have time to post my pictures. I'll try to do that tonight.

I'm getting some spare parts from "ScooterBoy" on this forum. Just keep posting in your WTB threat from time to time to keep it alive.

A small air cylinder and a paint ball tank and you would never need a kickstand for that bike, just dump the air in the back and lay some frame when you part it.

I bet your dad will be smiling ear to ear when you get it all running and he gets to take another ride on it again. That will bring back some memories!!!!!

Cant figure my grand fathers out as we found it in the garage since he passed... Tried to send you a message and it wont let me.... Everything was gone threw carb,ect pulls over week spark, then nothing, messed with points but cant figure out gap for points, or get this darn thing to run for my son... Help

Cant figure my grand fathers out as we found it in the garage since he passed... Tried to send you a message and it wont let me.... Everything was gone threw carb,ect pulls over week spark, then nothing, messed with points but cant figure out gap for points, or get this darn thing to run for my son... Help
Bones, you are commenting on a thread that is very old. You might want to start your own post in General Minibike Talk. Also, photos help, as well as what kind of engine it has for specifications.

Bones, you are commenting on a thread that is very old. You might want to start your own post in General Minibike Talk. Also, photos help, as well as what kind of engine it has for specifications.
I'm still here! My dad and I have slowly been working on it as we have time. Just about a week ago we got the "clutch" (small wheel for the belt) apart. I showed dad what to clean and how to put it back together. I saw him this weekend and he said he took it up the side yard and up the street and back! He says the steering is not right, so I don't know if something is loose in the steering, or the wheel bearing, or something else. I'll have to get down there and ride.

So, after 18 months of occasional fiddling around, its running! Dad did most of the work, so I didn't really have the opportunity to photo-document along the way. But, I can answer some questions if you have some!

Rodd

I know this is an ancient thread, but does anyone have jpgs of the original folding "owner's manual" for the Fuji Go-Devil?
I'll go over to my dad's house and see if he still has his.

We did spruce up the old Go Devil. I'll have to take pictures. I think we left off with needing a good throttle cable?