Doodle Dumb- 16hp Vanguard build

Ok guys, my name is Thomas and I'm here to talk about mini bikes. Lets get started.

While back, bought my girl a nice little doodle. It had been resprayed but it all worked pretty good except the engine would not idle cold. She got it as a surprise gift on her 21st birthday. We ride bikes to class together, well we used to. I recently resurrected an electric minibike I made back in high school and she was all kinds of jelly watching me not have to pedal. SO, that started me looking for something she could ride. Found this doodle, bought it off craigslist and stored it in a friends garage till her birthday. Here she is:

I liked the little guy and it was a great start for her to learn on. It was pretty weak tho and she couldn't really keep up with me on hills. So, I started looking around on you tube and such and such and decided I was going to put a bigger engine on it if I found one. Then, I get a call from my g/f one day asking me to come get here cause the doodle stranded her on the side of the road coming home from school in the rain. It was hilarious. SO, needless to say, it was really time to find a solution. Ran across a stupid awesome deal in my search for a cheap engine. I went to a local small engine/ mower shop and asked if he had any horizontal shaft engines that are in need of some work I could buy cheap. We looked through his junk yard but didn't find anything. We were headed back to the front of the store through his shop area and I saw a horizontal shaft engine and said, "what about that one". He had forgot he had it. It was a motor he had replaced on a baja heat or warrior under warranty since it was leaking. Anyway, it was literally bran new. He asked me for $60 and I said yes. This thing is so amazing. It starts first pull every time and idles like a dream.

So I set about installing it. Luckily since I am on a design team at my college I have access to a pretty nice machine shop 24-7. I took a clutch I found around the shop and modified it on the lathe to work on this engine. Welded up a little adapter and bolted the engine on. The wiring just plugged in as it is very similar to the doodle as they are both made by baja. Here is what it looked like right after I put it all together in less than 24hrs.

So, as you can see, the engine was way over to one side to accommodate the FREE clutch that couldn't be inverted to work with the sprocket on the inside. The clutch was literally the worst thing ever as it turns out. It was so harsh on engagement that it bent the engine plate and broke the welds on the frame that hold the foot peg bar to the frame. But overall, when the clutch wasn't killing the bike it lived on it all worked out pretty good. Then, one day my g/f got pulled over by the police on her way to class, haha. He asked her about the bike and how big the motor was. She kept her leg over the 200cc sticker and and played dumb. He told her it needed lights and a mirror. SO, since this bad ass engine had a generator on it we wired up a headlight and taillight with a brake switch. Added a sweet little mirror. A month or so later, I got pulled over. It was the same cop. He told me he pulled over my g/f. It was funny. We had removed the sticker and I tried to play dumb but he had had his own minibike growing up so he knew it was not 49cc. He said he didnt car though since it had a mirror and lights.

Then, me an my g/f split. She felt bad so she gave me the doodle, lol. We actually are happily back together nowadays but before we got back together I took a pretty decent spill on the ol'doodler. Broke the mirror, grips, and tore the bar that holds the foot pegs. SO, this combined with the unbearable clutch called for a full blown do-over. Really, I should have just pimped out the old motor, but I wanted to go big. This brings us up to speed with the new build on this doodle.

NOW, for the good stuff.

Original plan was to stuff the vanguard 16hp engine in the doodle with a BSA or Triumph pre-unit 4 speed tranny behind it. I bid on several gearboxes but they kept going well out of my price range. Found a Vanguard on eBay that was located in my hometown coincidentally so I pulled the trigger on it. Only problem is that it was a taper shaft. No problem, bought a nice 1" shaft crank from a vertical shaft mower vanguard. Its slightly longer than the version for the horizontal but is otherwise exactly the same I was pleased to find out. I bought it before I had torn the motor down so I was relieved to see that it was completely compatible.

New plan is to bolt a gtc tc2 1003 torque converter to it with a 18 tooth pinion and a 54 tooth rear sprocket. Should make for a 60mph doodle at 4000rpm with the 13" diameter street tires I'm going to be running.

All I have done so far is ordering all the parts and tearing the motor down tonight. After clean up I am going to put the new crank in and take out the governor, then bolt it all back together and test fire it. Here all some pics from tonight:

Donor Bike

Goal is to make it a real high performance bike. I'm running a 6.5 inch rim up front with a 110/50R6.5 treaded street tire and a stock rear rim with a 13" street tread tire on it with an upgraded rear caliper. All upgraded thick cable for the brakes. Should be pretty sweet. Ill keep you all updated.

Last edited:

catfishman

cool story, good luck on the build. where are you going to school, that they would let you ride it there? i cant even ride on my street without risking it.

Very nice !!! Let us know about any vibration , I hate to see that you haft to keep it lockup on the porch :gun_bandana:
Yeah, I live in a $300/month plus electric apartment, lol. No garage. Poor thing lives outside. I lock it up to keep honest people honest. I know I would want to steal it, especially after I'm done with it. I wouldn't, but I'd want to.

I may park it in the living room, but if it stinks of gas, idk how long that will last.:blink:

I had a setback today. Got a gasket set for this engine.... DAMN@! it cost $85. Ain't nobody got time fo that! I looked around alot before getting it local and it is more or less the going rate. I found it for about 80 shipped online but $5 is worth it to have it in hand and support a local business. Hope to clean it all up and get the motor back together soon. Bought 4 cans of brake parts cleaner and some gloves... we'll see. Pics later.

WD-40 and diesel work good as a degreaser and a lot cheaper.
someone WILL steal it,although that cable on it looks strong enough, that post would be the weak point. would take me less than a minute(although i wouldn't). keep it inside if you can. put a single layer of a plastic baggie over tank filler, screw on cap and vapors should not be detected.

Ok, little up date.

3 days ago I cleaned almost everything for the engine except for getting the carbon off the piston and head.

Here is some pics of the stuff. I was amazed how nice everything turned out with just some brake cleaner, a tooth brush, and some soapy water.

I guess I should add that I didnt clean things that I am for sure not using like the old air cleaner and box. Engine is too tall to fit in doodle with them on and also the stock exhaust.

Then, I switched gears and left the engine alone for the next 2 days to work on machining all the little bungs and other pieces I need to finish my front fork conversion. Here are some pics from that process.

SO, basically, what is going on is that I am going for a kinda performancey sorta build here. The idea is to make the bike look mybe a little street fighterish/supermotoish in the front. Long story short I wanted some good brakes and the front end off an old polini racing pocketbike seemed like an excellent solution as it looks cool and it has dual disk brakes that really work well. I took a couple "exploded view" shots to show you how I am extending the forks to work on the doodle. They were about 4 inches shorter than I think I will need so I sleaved the forks with some 3/4".120 wall tube and turned down a piece to match the forks wich is like 24mm OD... wierd Italian choice. Had to be the same so the tripple trees would fit still. Then I put a bung in the end tapped for M-8 1.25 for bolting on another piece not shown that will have a notched piece of tube giving the same angle as the old doodle forks. To finish it off, I am going to cut the width down on some old dirt-bike handlebars.

Lastly, my oil filter adapter came in the mail today. Had to change the one I had as it would be in the way of the CVT.

So, thats it for now. I gotta weld this stuff together soon and throw the engine back together too. Hopefully the tires and CVT show up so I can mock up the engine placement.

Later

6276 ARC Billet Rod, Briggs Vanguard 4.262 if you plan on taking the governor out this is cheaper than a replacement engine.
I know what your saying. I have read the thread about it and seen the pics. I have geared the bike so that it will run 60mph at 4000 rpm. It wont be making any power on the stock cam past that anyway so It wont be seeing any high rpm even without a governor.

Check out the intense crustacolypse going on in the heads off this beast.

Bought a can of chem dip. Whooooohhao that stuff is strong smelling. Its burned into my nostrils. Ive been smelling it for the last hour and I have been far far away from it.

Last edited:
the doodle beast! i dont think thats gonna pass for 50cc :scared: I always thought one of those would be great on a mini. maybe with a modified shroud to show more of the fins. you dont really need the shroud anyway since youll be going so fast :smile:

Im working on getting the engine put together tonight. I got my new tires and torque converter but haven't taken pics of them yet. Here are some shots from earlier of my and my g/f lapping the valves before we put the heads back together.

Before

After

Here is a shot of one side done and one side not done.

Nice! will that engine actually fit between the frame tubes top to bottom?
No, not with the stock air cleaner and engine mount. I am going to weld a new mount and make a new air filter system. The tubes themselves will not be modified tho so it fits in the frame with a little work.

So, I got some good news and I got some bad news. Good news is, I started the engine tonight. Went back together real nice. Very happy with it. Started on the 3rd pull and idled like a dream. Great sound and great throttle response. Bad news is, i took too many damn photos along the way and its a PITA to upload them! lol. Ill keep plugging away at getting them up here. Hopefully not too much longer.

Ok, so here is what we got so far. I bought this Engine off of eBay from a guy in my hometown. It had not ran in a long time he said but it did run so I was like:shrug: The only problem was that it was a taper shaft. Found a nice crank on eBay for about $50 shipped. Bought it. It was out of a vertical shaft vanguard so it is about an inch longer but it was so much cheaper I couldn't resist. We'll see if that becomes an issue soon... I HOPE NOT! :bowdown:

SO, I tore the engine down and it was realllly dirty inside the heads and carb. I didn't take pics of the carb but it was filled with gas crust. I was pretty worried that I wouldn't be able to clean it well enough to allow it to function properly but it all worked out.

So, what did I end up with... well I now have a spotless 16hp Vanguard with no governor parts inside:eek:ut:, a 1" shaft, correct oil filter adapter, and a whole lot of work ahead of me. Here are the pics in order of how I took them ass I assembled the engine. Enjoy!