Doodle Dumb- 16hp Vanguard build

I still have to wire up the starter and the ignition. Then I gotta mount it in the doodle. Then make an intake for the engine and figure out a gas tank.

Anyone have any suggestions as far as gas tanks go?

Later guys,

Thomas

That engine went together in a hurry! I'm going to have to start looking for one for a future build. Go big or go home. What is a reasonable price to expect to pay for the engine? Have you test fit it in the Doodle chassis yet? What are you going to have to do to get it to fit?

That engine went together in a hurry! I'm going to have to start looking for one for a future build. Go big or go home. What is a reasonable price to expect to pay for the engine? Have you test fit it in the Doodle chassis yet? What are you going to have to do to get it to fit?
I can't even fathom the idea of having something that size in a mini bike, going to be loads of fun I'm sure. Unless I'm mistaken, I think that the 16hp is the smallest vtwin you can get and they have them here at the Milwaukee Northern Tool for about $1200 last time I checked (w/elec start).
Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-Twin Horizontal Engine with Electric Start — 16 HP, 1in. x 2 29/32in. Shaft, Model# 305447-3079-G1 | 391cc - 600cc Briggs & Stratton Horizontal Engines| Northern Tool + Equipment

I've been pretty luck so far. I won the engine for just over $330 on eBay and no shipping because it was local to me. I have the taper shaft like the one you have linked. I don't recommend buying one with the taper shaft unless you get a crazy deal. The gasket kit to put the engine back together after swapping cranks is over $80 and a good crank is about $120. I got a cheap crank that is actually for a vertical shaft vanguard but if you don't mind your engine package being a half inch or so wider then its a viable option.

Here are some pics from today's progress. Got the CVT all modified to fit the vanguard. I had to drill a new set of holes to clear the oil filter assembly. Just made a few templates on the old CAD software until I had one that fit nice. Center punched and drill pressed and then wahlah we have a perfect fit. I used a smaller diameter drill bit than the other holes in the CVT plate (5/16) so that there was no play. Then lathed down some half inch spacers to get the belt alignment within spec out of some 7/8 aluminum bar stock. Turned out nice.

I've been looking on EBAY and Craigslist but haven't seen any available locally. Seen a few listed but the shipping cost's are a killer. Seems like the ones from power washers have the tapered shaft which is something I don't want to deal with. Looks like if you could pick up a used 16HP one with a non-tapered crank for $400 - $500 you'd be doing ok. I'll just have to keep my eyes open.

wow nice work so far! how is that monster going to fit on a doodle ?!
Im finally to the point I can figure that out. Ive eyeballed it and it looks pretty easy but we'll find out soon. My plan is to cut off the stock engine plate and foot peg bar (foot peg bar is snapped at the moment from a prior wreck) and weld in a lower engine plate that is pure beef (3/16 plate). That combined with removing the stock air filter/housing should just barely let the engine slide in.

Last edited:
I bet the front wheel won't want to stay on the ground. :biggrin:
Today is the first time I slid the engine inside the rails to see what we have got going on... I think you might be right about this one. lol :shrug:

Got my plasma/grind on today. Still got to do some more but I think its going to fit pretty easily believe it or not.

Got a little carried away with the plasma evidently on the rear cross brace but oh well. When its done it wont be seen.

Angle of the front cylinder is parallel to the front frame tube which is cosmetically appealing to me.:thumbsup:

Got alot of work left to do on the frame and front end. Hope to have it a roller in the next couple weeks tho.

Laters

hahahahhaa, damn, thats gonna be a wicked ride indeed. I like it lots, really has be thinking, I have a super smooth running 18hp Kohler twin here, might have to do something with that critter.