DoodleBug Engine Problem

Okay, so i got my new doodlebug today and after i put it together, it wont even start. when i finally got it to start the engine killed after i let go of the throttle. Any suggestions please:shrug:

You only have two parameters-spark is it happening and is the gap on the plug right----or carb??? enough idle? Choke not too much---not too little-air leak weakening fuel mix?
I say turn up the idle, play with the choke, spray a little WD40 around the intake seams to see if you have air leaks. Get the motor to break in as that will improve compression which may solve all your problems as the rings seal up more and more on break in.

You only have two parameters-spark is it happening and is the gap on the plug right----or carb??? enough idle? Choke not too much---not too little-air leak weakening fuel mix?
I say turn up the idle, play with the choke, spray a little WD40 around the intake seams to see if you have air leaks. Get the motor to break in as that will improve compression which may solve all your problems as the rings seal up more and more on break in.
Also as an add on to my last post, I havent messed with the Spark Plug so that could be the problem

Welcome to the site! :thumbsup: I'm assuming it's a new one, old or new style you have the same engine. Dudlydoodleright pretty much said everything I would suggest. If you dont have a spark tester just pull the plug and hold it, pull the recoil and if it shocks you a bit you know you've got spark!:blink: You should have a manual that will take you through the pre-start procedures as well as some trouble shooting tips. If all else fails contact the dealer or Baja motorsports.

I'm not a big fan of the stock engines and have had many, I had one that kinda ran right but never really well. I've never bought a brand new one but did get one with the tags still on it, that was the only one that ran and it died after a 6yo rode it to death. I have three DBs and they all have engine swaps, two have the 6.5hp lifans and one has a 3hp briggs. They are awesome machines and I hope you get it sorted out!:thumbsup:

Thanks supernova im definetly going to test the spark plug tommorow,but I was reading on the problem and came across a thread about a clutch problem. When my motor is idling and it makes a clanging noise is that a clutch problem?? I am really confused now:shrug:. But Thanks anyway :thumbsup:

The clutch noise is not unusual at all it's starts to clang just below the rpm it grabs-infact they call the part of the clutch that clangs -the bell. One thing I can say is the young person in the video was not letting the motor warm up nearly long enough. I would allow 3 to 5 minutes as the heat needs to not only build up but spread into the carb and the carb warm to full temp. On a carb with a realy good air fuel mixture and average day tempeture you might pull and go-- on a new bike with a so-so mixture and a cold day it will stall out-at first if the mix is a bit lean or after it gets hot if the mix is a bit rich. If your carb has a mixture adjust screw you can fine tune it but as of late they don't sell them on new bikes-but after your motor has 5 hours or so on it you may find it is better running than out of the box. Some times running on half choke untill the motor is hot will get you running sooner-and the motor warms up faster when under load.

Thanx Dudleydoodleright so i know a clutch is not a problem, but when i let my motor idle for anything over 30 sec and i finally hit the throttle the engine dies. :confused: Is that a carb problem or spark plug

Also as of this morning i can ride it for about 2 min but with my choke on. With it off the Engine just sputters and dies in 30 sec after riding Any ideas. Ickecked the Spark plug and put WD-40 on the air intake. Still though when i take my hand off the throttle for more than 1 second, the engine dies.

Do you mean running it at idle for 2min? or riding it bcuz the bike cant even ride for 2 min.
Also do you think an oil problem has anything to do with this problem? (Im trying to x out all possibilties)

Last edited:
Make sure your oil is to the full line with proper motor oil. Do you know how to turn up your idle speed? If so turn it up to just below the point were the clutch starts to grab.

DUMP THAT OIL NOW!!!!!! Put motor oil in that thing-lets hope your still okay! Yes turn the screw in so that the motor idles just below were the clutch starts to grab. If you hear just a few rings of the "Bell" your good for now after you get it broke in and running good you'l back it down some but for now just at the point were it clings and clangs a little.

Okay to dump the oil, bcuz i couldnt get the drain plug out i just took my cap for oil out and tipped the oil out. i did this till no more oil came out. is this enough or no?

Some will disagree but get a refund while you still can. But an old roller or clapped out complete one and put a decent engine in the thing. So many threads just like yours all lead to the same road, maybe 20% ever get one running well and I'm probably being generous! Do the research you'll find I'm right, I hate it that they still sell the sorry little engine to an unsupecting public but they do. Dont take it lying down, dump it back on thier doorstep and start over!:thumbsup:

ive all but given up on this pathetic engine im only a teenager and im very pissed. his bike wont even start right. Thanx so much for all you help guys, hope you had and will have better luck than i did with this company and bike