Drilling jet on Hard to start clone.

Hello I purchased a MQ Power JF 200 clone. I had an extremely difficult time starting this engine whether cold or hot.

After reading I found that an idle jet drilled to 0.025 is the fix. Here is what I did and the engine starts very easily not and doesn't need choke or gas when warm.

Drilling was necessary for my clone to start correctly.

1st remove the plastic idle screw. If the air box or crank case vacuum hose are in the way, temporary remove them.

That plastic piece at the bottom is the idle jet. Gently pry it out with a flat head screwdriver.

The idle jet removed. A picture of it's side and underside.

A 0.0250 drill bit can be purchased at harbor freight if you search through the boxes. They also go by #72 as you can see. They are completely random so make sure that you can see it before buying. They sell in packs of 20 buts but I went through 6 boxes until I found one that had #72 displayed. Sometimes you can't read the bits size.

Drilling by hand is easy.

Nice write up.:thumbsup:
What size was the stock jet before drilling?
All that hold the jet in are the O-rings?
Good thing fuel did not swell them up or you would never get them back in without replacement. Been down that road with automotive applications.

Nice write up.:thumbsup:
What size was the stock jet before drilling?
All that hold the jet in are the O-rings?
Good thing fuel did not swell them up or you would never get them back in without replacement. Been down that road with automotive applications.
I haven't a clue on the size it was before drilling. It is only sealed my the o-ring but I believe the idle screw helps to hold it in place though.

I just knew that it was a pain in the ass. Whether the engine was hot or cold I had to fully engage the choke, give it a few pulls then either open it if it was warm or have it 3/4 opened if closed and pull the rope while holding gas. The problem is that it would stall if I had the rpm where I wanted it randomly. Then comes that starting issue again.

After the rejet: If cold,I put it on choke, pull and it starts on the first or second pull then I open the choke and give it a little gas to stable out.

If warm, I just pull it and then give it gas to stable out.

Last edited:
Gave it a try this afternoon.
Original jet has .015 hole in it.
Opened mine to .020.
Jury is still out on the improvement.
Plug went black, still messing with the screw.
Turned it in all the way and backed it out 1.5 turns.
Was 1.25 from the factory. seemed to clean up by turning it out .25 turn (air screw?)

Any body know for sure,if this is an air screw or fuel screw?
Carbs can go either way.

I have entirely removed the choke of my clone and when I drilled this out to .028", it starts first time every pull. Its so nice to not have to mess with the choke anymore. This works, whereas before I had to flip choke on and pull until it sputtered and then choke off to get it running.