Early 69 built Rupp Chopper??

I picked up this Rupp Chopper/Cub roller over the weekend. At first I was unsure which one it was. I degreased and power washed it and found a traces of gold paint, but no orange, so I though maybe a Cub. I looked at pictures of Cubs. All of the pictures I found of the Cubs don't have a tab welded on for a clutch/chain guard, as the Cubs just had a little square cover over the clutch. I noticed on some recent threads that Cruhr and Rupp72 have about there choppers is that they have longer tabs for the clutch cover than mine. Even though it's shorter, it looks factory. After reading through Cruhrs build off thread. The last post on page seven says that early 69 choppers were painted gold. I am assuming that is what I have here? Maybe when they switched to orange paint they elongated the clutch mount tab also?? Does anyone have a early 69 gold chopper to confirm this? Would live to hear people's thoughts on it. Thanks! 20160314_101714.jpg 20160314_124627.jpg 20160314_133019.jpg
Sorry can't figure out how to delete upside down pics

Attachments

Last edited:
I just measured my clutch mount tab and it's only 1 1/4" long on the short(top) side. I would say that you indeed have the early '69 gold chopper that was discussed in my build-off thread. Very cool find.

Rupp 72

I've seen choppers with both long and short tabs, the clutch guard should extend all the way so that you won't even see the tab with it on, however i have seen some bikes that look like the clutch guard was cut a inch or two short which is were i've seen the longer tab used to make up for the lost length. But from what i can see i'd say your bike could very well be an early 69 chopper

Last edited:
I have one that is the same or similar that I am trying to id, any info on the cub and the chopper to help id would be great, currently it is glad in color.

Thank You in advance