El Burro-Step 1: Dismantle

jeep4me

Well here we go. I'm starting on the El Burro. I'll be posting pics periodically on my progress. Here are the before pics.:hack:

What are your plans ? A full resto ? What are your plans for the seat ? If you are going to recover it don't ruin that vinyl. I will buy the seat from you and you can build a new seat pan. I got 2 of these bikes (one has only 5 original min run time on it) and a few parts. Check out the brochures page. I sent in scans of the 3 original brochures I have.

jeep4me

That's some great info on the brochures. I think that mine may have been orange originally because I can see orange paint under the blue (maybe that's the primer color, not sure). I'll try to keep it as original as I can. I think I may paint it orange, I haven't done an done a mini in that color.
Teeks---You said in another thread that mine wasn't "original anyway" what doesn't look original on it. You seem to know quite a bit about these bikes. Is it the motor? It's from 1969 so that would fit the 1970 production of the SUPER 8. Thanks for any info you can give me.

jeep4me

The front and back wheels are the same. Is there a chance that they could have came out with this at the factory? There is also a "guard" of sorts on the back tire between the sprocket and the tire. It looks like it is supposed to be there to protect the chain from dirt. I'll try to get some better pics of this. Thanks again Teeks!!

Those tires have been changed. They all came with balloon tires but they were not very durable. More than likely they were changed out after 1 or both blew out and the owner couldn't find replacements. That dust guard on the back wheel is supposed to be there. Nice find. Have only seen a handful that complete.

jeep4me

The tires look like the ones in the original brochure that you posted earlier in this thread. I thought that they had been changed also, because I thought that the paddles should both be going in the same direction (treadwise). But, after seeing the one brochure for them they are going in opposite directions. Any ideas why they run like this?

jeep4me

Thanks, I thought maybe someone had messed up when they mounted them and I was going to have them remounted. I did find some used tires off of an older riding lawn mower that I'm thinking of putting on. There almost the exact same size and have a "Turf Saver" tread. I wont changed them until spring because I want to ride this in the winter to see how it preforms. I also got a newer 8hp Briggs, 1979, off from a snowblower, I'll be using this during the winter months and the original motor during the remainder of the year.

Turf saver tires wont do you any good, try to look for some "loadmaster" or "Turfmaster" tires, their tread has a LOT more grip. I know this stuff because i race lawnmowers, and i've used MANY different tire combinations, and those 2 tires always worked best for getting lateral grip.