Engine Rebuild vs New Engine

Hey all,
The HS40 Tec on my Cat 400x has been only giving me problems since I got it- oil leak, carb leak, gas leak on top, pull start breaks every 20 pulls, bolts are falling off, etc. I am essentially trying to weigh my options as far as a complete rebuild (because who knows how bad the internals are due to all the leaks) vs a new 6.5 Predator for $120. I have a local engine repair shop but don't think they do rebuilds like these. So what are your guys' opinions? Anyone know the cost of a rebuild?

Does anyone know if a Predator would fit the Cat's mountings? I know not many of you like all the "clones" and such on vintage bikes but I really want something that I can just enjoy riding for more than 15 minutes without it breaking in some way or another. Thanks for the input.

JMO, but if you either dont know how or just dont want to work on it a bunch, the predator is the way to go. Tecumsehs can require a lot of upkeep and tinkering to keep running right. The predator should bolt right up to the cat. Just save the tec to go with the bike in case you ever want to sell it.

Put a Predator on it until the H40 is rebuilt maybe but don't toss the H40 or the collector value is gone, also make sure your brakes are in tip top shape because the predator makes near twice the HP and torque. I have several running bikes so I would rebuild the H40 and return it to it's rightful place were it mine.

i would pull the head off and see if the bore is in good shape. if it is scored up than chances are your bottom end probrobly isnt so good either. but if its good then your rebuild will go alot better

"oil leak, carb leak, gas leak on top, pull start breaks every 20 pulls, bolts are falling off"

These are easy fixes. If it was the original engine, I would definitely repair it.

Yes the Pred 212 easily fits the 400 frame. However the modifications to the throttle system on the engine as well as lengthening your existing throttle cable (replacement might be required) are more difficult than repairing what's wrong with the HS40. :biggrin:

(and this coming from a guy who gets his arse kicked regularly by Tecumseh's) :scooter:

Do you guys know if the throttle cable would need replacement to fit the predator? Anyone have experience swapping engines on the cat?
Thanks for the input as well.

Do you guys know if the throttle cable would need replacement to fit the predator? Anyone have experience swapping engines on the cat?
Thanks for the input as well.
I have experience swapping in a clone 5.5 into two different Cats. (Same thing) It's a straight forward swap.

As I said above, the only issue you'll have is playing with the throttle setup itself on the Predator- plenty written about that here- and the length of your throttle cable.

Since the Predator sits a bit lower, you may need to replace the cable with a longer one.

I thought I'd answered that, but perhaps my tounge in cheek sarcastic cynical comments obfusicated that. Sorry.

Put a Predator on it until the H40 is rebuilt maybe but don't toss the H40 or the collector value is gone, also make sure your brakes are in tip top shape because the predator makes near twice the HP and torque. I have several running bikes so I would rebuild the H40 and return it to it's rightful place were it mine.
This is my recommendation as well. If you want to just get out, have fun and RIDE (now) the HF Predator is a great value and the way to go. That being said, that HS40 engine is a very good engine and worth spending (some) $$ on IF (and that is a very BIG "IF") the internals are not shot. If that engine needs a major internal rebuild, forget about having a shop do it for you, as the cost will be astounding. If you are able to do it yourself (sounds like you may not be?) that would be another story and MIGHT be worth doing. Contrary to some others that have said, we have not found the Tecumsehs to "require a lot of upkeep and tinkering to keep running right". Once they are dialed in we have found them to be extremely dependable. If I were you I would install the Predator now and, as others have already advised, look further into the (internal) condition of the HS40, and go from there. As far as modifying your existing throttle to work on the Predator that should be a very easy fix. A longer throttle cable will only set you back a few dollars (if it is even needed?) and the Predator readily accepts a throttle cable in 2 locations with 2 built-on cable swivels/clamps on the throttle arm. Unless the Cat 400X have some type of "unique" throttle assembly at the handlebars (I'll admit I am not familiar with them) it should be very easy to change it out. Finally, it should be noted that I believe that I have a very good (and fair) perspective of the benefits and uses of both the "vintage" engines like the HS40 and the "new" engines like the clones, as my son and I have had multiples of both, an I would not consider us a "purist" in either camp.
Michael

So as far as the clutch for the predator, I believe my current one will fit. It's 12 tooth and 35 I believe. Not sure if it will work With the predator. Also how do you tell if it is worn out? Thanks all.