Ever been pulled over on a mini?

A cop friend once told me you'll never talk yourself out of a ticket but you sure as heck can talk yourself into one. Once pulled over, the cop is either sure he is going to ticket you and no talking is going to change that or he maybe unsure and waiting to see what your "Tude" is before he decides.

I was ripping down this long street with no stop signs when I realized I passed an unmarked car, I get to the end of the street and look over my shoulder to see that he's turned around and is heading my way.

So I turned off on a side street and nailed it, as I'm approaching a stop sign I look over my shoulder again and there he is about 100' back. I pulled off the road and hopped off my bike and acted like I was adjusting something.

He pulls up behind me and flips his lights on. I thought "oh :censure:" and then he gets out of his car and says something I never expected... "Man, that things cool". We proceed to bs for the next half hour and trade stories. He showed me that his top front teeth were fake from eating a minibike handlebar as a kid.

Pretty cool guy, he did mention it was illegal to ride on the street, then shared his very colorful opinion on how local regs state minibikes "should" be impounded but it's ok for the idiots with DUI's to grab a scooter and ride on busy streets.

Growing up I had two minis. One day my friend and I took them out. We would ride up to our school. Great place to ride, as it had hills. The school was 8-10 miles away. Most of it was trails, but parts of it required us to ride on the road. When we went to leave my friend decided to stop and get something eat. I continued home. Hrs went by. I am freaking. No cells back then. He shows up at my house without my bike. He got caught by the cops riding on the street. They impounded the bike. Required my mom and I to go to the police station to pick it up. NO FINE, just a lecture and dirty looks froom my mom. The" if looks could kill " applied here. They dicussed punishement .

It was decided my friend and I would push the bike the 10 miles home. The keys were taken away. Off we go, I decided he would start the pushing. After all he was the idiot that got caught. Well there was a Dairy Queen on the way home. We were pretty thirsty. So we stop and get something. Off we go again. Just as I start pushing out of the lot another friends dad stops. He's driving a truck. What luck. Throw the bike in the back. Friends dad ask why we weren't riding. Told him we didn't have the key :rolleyes:
He drops us off at the end of my street, as I didn't want my mom to see.

Turns out, after my mom left the police station she stopped somewhere. We beat her home.:doah: I explained what we did. Luckly, I had a cool mom. She basically wasn't mad, she thought it was funny. She liked that at least my friend pushed about 5 miles, since he got the bike impounded. Turns out I might have pushed 150 feet.

95% of police do not want to be bothered with things that do not cause harm to the public.

If you are not causing them to do something about you odds are they are not intrested in you.

But one phone call from an angery old man and you are screwed now the cops have a complaint.

As a rule of thumb I buy every cop I see directing traffic a coffee or bottle of water.
A significant nmuber of them remember me from the big strike of 09 and I do my best to stay fresh in their minds with that little act of kindness.
Maybe its not so where you live but up here I have a lot of respect for the local constabulary because they just want to keep the peace and not have any trouble.
When the big strike was on up here they kept the strike breakers at bay and arrested the trouble makers on both sides.

Every time I get the chance buy one that coffee and they decline.
Then I remind them of the strike, say thank you and offer that coffee again with a thank you for keeping the peace in our little city.

To date I have never had a coffee of bottle of water refused a second time ( although they are not allowed to except things like that from the public ).

I suspect if I ever get pulled over by one of them I may face a ticket or trouble, but if its one of those guys from the picket lines I suspect they may treat me a little more gently on account of not causing them grief and being nice to them long after.

They are here to serve and protect.
Be nice to them and they are there for you......

MY FIRST MINI I HAD, I TOOK MY YOUNGEST FOR A HIDE.(SHE WAS 4 YRS OLD) WE WERE JUST OUT FOR A SLOW HIDE, THEN I PASSED A COP COMING AT US. SURE ENOUGH HE TURNED AROUND AND WE GOT PULLED OVER. I HAD TO WALK IT HOME WITH MY DAUGHTER. HE GAVE ME A TICKET FOR $75 AND A SPEECH FOR NOT BEING SAFE (ME NO HELMET, DAUGHTER HAD ONE).

A FRIEND IN NJ HAD HIS FRIEND COME OVER TO FIX HIS DIRT BIKE. WHEN HE TOOK IT OUT FOR A TEST RIDE, HE GOT PULLED OVER. THE COP GAVE HIM A TICKET FOR NOT REGISTERED, NO INSPECTION, NO INSURANCE, NO BIKE LICENSE AND NOT OBAYING TRAFFIC SIGNS. RIGHT AROUND $1200 AND LOST HIS LICENSE FOR 3 MONTHS.:eek:ut:

The Flintstone move. You act like the bike is off while using your legs to push the bike while sitting on it. Then when the cop drives by you pick up your feet and gun it!!!
You guys need to use your invisibility cloaking feature!
What do you think its there for!! :eek:ut:

I had no idea they would give tickets,fine,impound,etc. I thought the most they would do is tell me to take it home. Thanks for the info. I'd have gotten busted for shure. I use mine sometimes to ride over to friends homes nearby tho so far I haven't seen the cops.I had planned to tell them I just fixed it and needed to give it a little test ride.

When I was young we rode our dirt bikes and got stopped by the cops. They called a tow truck that wrapped a chain around them and they flopped in the wind as they drove away. Around the metal gas tanks and all.