First Doodle Bug Build With My Son

So I bought a nice doodle about 4 months ago with a predator motor on it. It was basically in brand new condition. I have never worked on motors, or anything like this before. So after a few weeks of riding around getting rattled by the motor, I found out about predator upgrade kits. Before I knew it, I had a new header, new muffler, jetted carb, new airfilter, and crank case filter. The thing runs so smooth in comparison!

So... Last week, I ventured out to look for a project bike for me and my son to re-build. This will be our very first build project, and I thought I would post it here.

I paid $30. Here's what it looked like.

20150629_194615.jpg

20150629_194624.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a metallic green paint, I'm doing a predator 212, and pretty much open from there. I've got all kinds of options. Any suggestions??

Last edited:
First day of progress

I had some time today, so we spent about an hour working on it together. Here he is wrenching on the fender.

20150701_153743.jpg

This is how far we got. The only thing worth saving was the brake.

20150701_164412.jpg

20150701_164426.jpg

buckeye

Raising him right.
Naah, Mom won't care if we bring it in the house. .
:laugh:
Awesome stuff right here I'll tell ya.
What color ya'll shooting for?

Raising him right.
Naah, Mom won't care if we bring it in the house. .
:laugh:
Awesome stuff right here I'll tell ya.
What color ya'll shooting for?
Yep!!! And even better than that....... My wife came home and said "Well now I need one!" Sweetest words ever spoken!

That looks like a fun project for the both of you.
Colors?

Yeah I'm really excited about it. I hate what my generation has done with their lives, and their children. We've lost the importance of passing on simple skills. I had to teach myself how to change my truck's oil at the age of 21 for cryin out loud! It's such a shame.. I really wanted to get him interested in something other than minecraft and tv. So far, its working!

I am contemplating having someone paint it professionally with automotive paint. I'm thinking a metallic green. Any suggestions are welcome! This is our very first one, so we're open to ideas. Is painting it yourself realistic? Would it have a nice glossy appearance? Or is that only achieved with professional spray guns and such. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Awesome lil build brotha . I'm in the middle of building my Baja mini with my 2 sons 14&13 yrs old . Now all three of us can go out and ride around instead of one waiting. We rebuilt the old manco fox 2 seater with a 6.5 predator and full battery light system 2 yrs ago we have

My kids are gamers and I also try to keep with busy with more hands on or recreational things .
I'm a Mechanic by trade and hobby and feel it's a dying breed like so many other trades .most people would rather seat behind a computer in ac then stand in a hot shop wrenching . At least when(if lol) the zombie apocalypse comes I have a trade to barter for other things when money is useless lol

I vote paint it yourself

Yep!!! And even better than that....... My wife came home and said "Well now I need one!" Sweetest words ever spoken!

Yeah I'm really excited about it. I hate what my generation has done with their lives, and their children. We've lost the importance of passing on simple skills. I had to teach myself how to change my truck's oil at the age of 21 for cryin out loud! It's such a shame.. I really wanted to get him interested in something other than minecraft and tv. So far, its working!

I am contemplating having someone paint it professionally with automotive paint. I'm thinking a metallic green. Any suggestions are welcome! This is our very first one, so we're open to ideas. Is painting it yourself realistic? Would it have a nice glossy appearance? Or is that only achieved with professional spray guns and such. Thanks for your help!
The first paragraph expresses frustration about the lack of importance placed on passing on simple skills and a desire to teach a child something beyond video games and TV.

The second paragraph asks for suggestions on whether to paint a vehicle themselves or hire a professional, and if painting themselves is realistic, would it have a nice glossy appearance or is that only achieved with professional spray guns.

The first paragraph expresses frustration about the lack of importance placed on passing on simple skills and a desire to teach a child something beyond video games and TV.

The second paragraph asks for suggestions on whether to paint a vehicle themselves or hire a professional, and if painting themselves is realistic, would it have a nice glossy appearance or is that only achieved with professional spray guns.
It's great to hear that you're excited about teaching your child new skills and getting involved in a project together! As for painting your vehicle, here are some suggestions:

DIY Painting: If you decide to paint the vehicle yourself, it's important to properly prepare the surface by cleaning, sanding, and priming it. You'll also need to choose the right type of automotive paint for your project, such as enamel, acrylic, or urethane. Applying the paint with a spray can or a paint gun can give you a smooth finish, but it may require practice to achieve a professional-looking result. DIY painting can be a cost-effective option, but keep in mind that the final outcome may depend on your level of experience and skill.

Professional Painting: Hiring a professional to paint your vehicle can ensure a high-quality result, especially if you want a glossy appearance. Professional automotive painters have the expertise, tools, and equipment, including spray guns, to achieve a smooth and glossy finish. They can also provide advice on paint color options and help you choose the best type of paint for your specific vehicle.

NO to "professional painting" or powdercoating! Paint it yourselves, and make this a learning experience for you and (especially) your son. With the proper preparation (sanding, cleaning, primer, etc.) and you can obtain very good results with a spray can and you and your son will have the pride and satisfaction of doing the job yourselves. Get on the internet and educate yourselves with the proper materials and techniques (i.e., Google and Youtube). I did this with my son years ago when he was only 12 years old (he's 27 years old now) with his first minibike (same exact one as yours). He painted the minibike himself and it turned out pretty darn good. Since then he has learned alot about rebuilding engines and restoring/rebuilding minibikes and motorcycles.
Michael

Take your time prepping the frame and let your son paint it. It will be something he never forgets. It doesn’t have to be perfect. My son painted his Manco Streaker when he was young, and we still laugh about the runs in the paint. :)