First restoration

Hello everybody I am considering doing my first restoration project on a classic bike. Does anyone have advice on what materials to get in order to do a project like this? Also about how much money should I inspect to invest in a project like this?

C9H13NO3

Hello everybody I am considering doing my first restoration project on a classic bike. Does anyone have advice on what materials to get in order to do a project like this? Also about how much money should I inspect to invest in a project like this?
Materials? Get some good sand paper, a wire wheel, an angle grinder, and a wire brush.

Total cost? It really depends on the condition of the bike. If the bike only needs a few parts like a tire and a paint job, probably $75-125. If the bike needs lots of parts like a chain guard, fenders, paint job, wheels, tires, rust removal and an engine, probably an easy $500 depending on the rarity of the bike.

C9H13NO3

That is a good start, but that will not be easy to fix up. If you have access to a sandblaster it might be worth it to sandblast the frame if it is REALLY rusty. But before sandblasting or investing money into a project make sure that the frame is solid and sturdy with no cracks or sloppy re-welds. I can't put a price on that project since I don't know what it is missing, but I would guess over $500.

That bike is one of my favorites and would be my first pick toward owning a vintage minbike.

They usually had Tecumseh engines and are around $150 used and up to $700 in new condition.

it depends how original you want to get with a restoration. gathering parts from a ride on tractor at the junk yard will cost alot less than a nos part on ebay know what i mean. Angle grinder with cutoff, grinding, and wire wheels and a drill is a good start for tools. Iv spent any where from 30-250$ on bikes most are right around 100. But I spend the extreme bare minimum on stuff

Dont let them scare ya :no: I have restored many , many bikes, and other than a few of my big toys, I usually didn't have more than $200 in a bike. You just really need to shop around, and pick your project wisely. Scour ebay to find the best prices on throttles, and cables , and chains. If you live close to a Tractor supply or another lawn and garden type place you can look for Tires, . OldMiniBikes warehouse has lots of misc hardware.. As far as the motors go, You should look for a motor with a 3/4" crank that is keyed and tapped if possible, And around 2.25 " long. You can usually pick up a Briggs for $25 and most of the time a carb clean ( new Diaphram) and a sparkplug and it will run great. I wire wheel 80% of all the bikes I do, and use Rustoleum paint products. Its all in the prepwork. Go to my photos and you will see what you can do with a limited budget and alot of elbow grease.:thumbsup:

Dont let them scare ya :no: I have restored many , many bikes, and other than a few of my big toys, I usually didn't have more than $200 in a bike. You just really need to shop around, and pick your project wisely. Scour ebay to find the best prices on throttles, and cables , and chains. If you live close to a Tractor supply or another lawn and garden type place you can look for Tires, . OldMiniBikes warehouse has lots of misc hardware.. As far as the motors go, You should look for a motor with a 3/4" crank that is keyed and tapped if possible, And around 2.25 " long. You can usually pick up a Briggs for $25 and most of the time a carb clean ( new Diaphram) and a sparkplug and it will run great. I wire wheel 80% of all the bikes I do, and use Rustoleum paint products. Its all in the prepwork. Go to my photos and you will see what you can do with a limited budget and alot of elbow grease.:thumbsup:
I should have said that in my OP. It all comes down to prep and scouring for parts.

What are some good signs something I am buying is a scam or broken when buying vintage materials?
Something I always do when somethings looks "not-too-legit" is ask them to put a specific item (gloves,$20 bill, right shoe, hammer, something peculiar) next to the item in question and ask them to take a picture and send it to me.

Always look over the frame before buying. Look for cracks or rewelds , or add ons. I usually walk away if its been rewelded. I have straightened many bent bars though. You just have to learn your limitations. I hate to say it , but to get your feet wet , you might want to shop around for a Baja Doodlebug roller, and try doing that first. You can pick one up usually for under $100, and they have good brakes too. usually the cheap motors give out on them within the first 6 months , so the bikes are usually in pretty good shape. Then go to Harbor Freight and get yourself a 6.5hp clone motor. You'll have to do a little fab work to mount it, but once you do , you will be hooked for life.:thumbsup: