fixing a vintage mini bike kickstand

markus

Ever bought a bike just cause it had the original kickstand on it? I have:doah: Ever got excited cause the bike does have the kickstand only to find out its all wore out and flops over and drops the bike? I have :doah:

The kickstand on My ss300 western flyer is like that, and yes the deal breaker for me buying that bike was that it did in fact still have the kickstand on it! the kickstand felt like it worked fine off the bike, I bought the bike in pieces so I didn't know the status of it. I should have totally disassembled it, but like I said I thought it felt ok.

So I put the bike back together on wheels and watched it drop to the floor when the kickstand failed to hold, chipping my fresh paint job:doah:

I took it back off the bike today and took it apart to see if I could fix it. Of course the bright idea to snap some pics came to me about halfway through, but hopefully this may help if you have never had one of these apart.

This is the standard style stand that I have found on most mini bikes of the late '60's early '70's. Its not something you can always easily find, and average about $30 and up used at the time of this writing.

easiest thing I found to do is stick the mount side of the stand in a vise, use a flat drift and tap on the edge of the collar (left side of pic) sliding it off the mount (center of pic). when doing this watch for the long detent pin that locks the stand in upright or full down position as it will fall out. Pull the small lock pin out and the stand will slip out of the mount.

The problem I had was the center pin had wobbled the hole in the stand a little and also wore down on the mount when it is in the down position. It was enough that it would pass the stop point and go farther forward than it should. As you can see from the pic above I welded the wear out of the mount by laying a bead there. Then I used a dremel to work it back down to pretty much the original size.

when doing this you have to keep reassembling (less the slip on collar) and checking the fit so you get the detent pin to fit back where it should. After getting it where it needed to be I cleaned and smoothed it all back up:

The other thing I did was drop a little bead on the pin just to give it a touch more length. and then ground it till I got it to fit back in the hole:

That was it, clean everything again real good, I brushed bearing grease in everything and reassembled and thats it. Nothing fancy, nothing anyones ever going to see and took me all of 10 minutes to correct.

id like to thank you for posting this up ..... i fixed my cat kickstand have a similar story bought a bike because of it and it just floped over when i tried to use it i had to fill in the circle with a lil tack and just ground it down to a perfect circle with my dremill from HB ... thanks again

Another trick I recently learned to take out some of the slop is once you've gotten it apart, to replace the shorter rod that keeps it locked up or down with another one w/ a slightly larger diameter. :thumbsup:

markus

Glad that worked for ya :thumbsup: I'm getting ready to dissasemble 4 more stands to do some swapping around of the bases and welding if they need it. trying to make a nice long one for my Bonanza (taller MX) and a short one for my 4" wheeled lil indian been collecting various stands for the past few months :thumbsup:

The one I got from you I used on the pink bike. But to make it sit just right we added about an inch to the length. Worked like a champ after that!

george3

Ever bought a bike just cause it had the original kickstand on it? I have:doah: Ever got excited cause the bike does have the kickstand only to find out its all wore out and flops over and drops the bike? I have :doah:

The kickstand on My ss300 western flyer is like that, and yes the deal breaker for me buying that bike was that it did in fact still have the kickstand on it! the kickstand felt like it worked fine off the bike, I bought the bike in pieces so I didn't know the status of it. I should have totally disassembled it, but like I said I thought it felt ok.

So I put the bike back together on wheels and watched it drop to the floor when the kickstand failed to hold, chipping my fresh paint job:doah:

I took it back off the bike today and took it apart to see if I could fix it. Of course the bright idea to snap some pics came to me about halfway through, but hopefully this may help if you have never had one of these apart.

This is the standard style stand that I have found on most mini bikes of the late '60's early '70's. Its not something you can always easily find, and average about $30 and up used at the time of this writing.

easiest thing I found to do is stick the mount side of the stand in a vise, use a flat drift and tap on the edge of the collar (left side of pic) sliding it off the mount (center of pic). when doing this watch for the long detent pin that locks the stand in upright or full down position as it will fall out. Pull the small lock pin out and the stand will slip out of the mount.

The problem I had was the center pin had wobbled the hole in the stand a little and also wore down on the mount when it is in the down position. It was enough that it would pass the stop point and go farther forward than it should. As you can see from the pic above I welded the wear out of the mount by laying a bead there. Then I used a dremel to work it back down to pretty much the original size.

when doing this you have to keep reassembling (less the slip on collar) and checking the fit so you get the detent pin to fit back where it should. After getting it where it needed to be I cleaned and smoothed it all back up:

The other thing I did was drop a little bead on the pin just to give it a touch more length. and then ground it till I got it to fit back in the hole:

That was it, clean everything again real good, I brushed bearing grease in everything and reassembled and thats it. Nothing fancy, nothing anyones ever going to see and took me all of 10 minutes to correct.
You done all that in only 10 Minutes. I have fixed alot of kickstands but sure not in 10 minutes. Should be good for another 100,000 miles.

markus

resizing

Another trick I recently learned to take out some of the slop is once you've gotten it apart, to replace the shorter rod that keeps it locked up or down with another one w/ a slightly larger diameter. :thumbsup:
I did this the other day with a couple I rebuilt, worked great! Thanks Jake :thumbsup:

I needed to resize some stands to fit some lil Indians for my buddies now excessive collection (3 1/2 small frame bikes an a sabre :doah: )

figured I snap some pics to show what I did and some general info

First off, I wanted to show some NOS bicycle stands I recently bought, the stands are stamped atwood, but the tags say cecor, so these companies were somehow one in the same at least at one point!

So the one I modified today is on the right, Its actually and original cat, I had rebuilt the head and detailed it out a few weeks ago but Dan told me he wanted me to go ahead and make him a few stands so Cat no more :eek:hmy:

you'll also note the pieces of pipe in the pic above, I use those to bend with. the smaller one is just engouh to slip over the stand, larger yellow one is just an top half of a hydraulic jack handle.

the cat style/short foot stand are great to rebend into shorties because there is some length to work with, the already short fat foot ones, Like on Birds, are a little tougher to do my way because of the way I rebend them.

the really long bicycle ones I have just been slipping my large cheater pipe over and bending, if its a little shorter its easy to slip the pipe off the stand though, so in this case I cut the little foot off so I could put the small pipe on to avoid that

next I stood the stand straight up in the vise and placed the the mark where I wanted the bend to be at just above the top of the jaw, making sure that the the foot bend will also run in line with the bend at the base/hinge:

Now I slipped my small piece of pipe on the stand and then my larger cheater pipe over it:

get the larger cheater right down to the bottom as well and start bending. I push only because my vise is mounted to loose table, pulling is easier if you can, again always be prepared for a slip of the cheater though!!!!!

I used a loose stand to sort of keep checking that my angle was about where I want to be, here is the finished bend:

stick it back in the vise, lop the excess foot area off where you want it and then a die grinder with a sanding disc and various scotch brite discs to get and dimples and the rough cut edge smoothed out then polish up, etc..

been using my dirty Lil indian for the final test fits, here it is mounted on the bike and Mark-ass approved :thumbsup:

If you need to mess around and maybe re adjust angles, like maybe you bent it and just a hair tall or want to re angle it so the bike leans differently, you can also bend on the foot end. take it apart and use the small pipe with the longer cheater over top. It is important to use the small pipe on there as you want that area where the pins are to remain straight!!!