Fixing Timing On Briggs 5 HP?

hello, i have a 5 hp briggs flathead engine, and it was running fine until one day, it just wouldn't start.

It does spark, but when i try to pull the engine over to start it with the pull start it backfires, i can smell gas, like a flooded engine. I tried it the other day so the gas fumes could evaporate and it still won't start.

I heard that it could be the timing could be off for ignition.

what could i do to fix the timing for the ignition?

Is the problem, or is it something else?

Try a new plug. If it was flooded bad, the plug will be bad. If that doesn't do it, the flywheel key may be sheared. In that case, it usually tries to pull the rope out of your hand. The flywheel key being sheared will throw the ignition timing off.

Last edited:
when you mean it tries to pull the rope out of my hand, like the rope seizes up?

also when i'm riding my minibike the starter rope becomes unwound. and when it does that a screeching sound starts. could the screeching sound be from the fly wheel key being sheared?

when you mean it tries to pull the rope out of my hand, like the rope seizes up?

also when i'm riding my minibike the starter rope becomes unwound. and when it does that a screeching sound starts. could the screeching sound be from the fly wheel key being sheared?

no man you have a bad starter clutch. just get a new one. their under 10 bucks.:thumbsup:

so would the starter clutch throw the timing out of sequence?

Heres all of the problems:

*Starter Clutch Screeches
* Pull Start Rope Unwinds

* Engine Backfires when pull started.
*Flywheel Key Sheared?

Would I just have to replace the Starter Clutch?
And is the starter clutch attached to the fly-wheel key?

If the fly-wheel key is sheared would the clutch shaft rotate when the pull rope is pulled?

Last edited:
I cannot advise you on the starter clutch,but if u pull the flywheel off(it comes of in 5 min)check the tiny keyway as mentioned above,it is most likely sheared,just go to this web site below,tell them your model and engine type,they sell 2 keys cheap $4.57(shipp. enc)
that will fire the sucker up!!
C.N.E. SMALL ENGINES

The starter clutch also serves as a nut to hold on the flywheel. The starter screeching and spitting out the rope is caused by the starter clutch or the end of the crank being dirty or unlubed. The starter clutch binding will eventually cause the flywheel key to shear. When you pull the starter clutch and flywheel, clean and lube the end of the crank so the starter clutch can slip easily on it. Also clean the inside of the starter clutch where it slips over the crank.That usually stops the binding.