Fly wheel puller

So I got Tec h60 and it needs a coil. I tried taking the flywheel off (thinking it was as easy as taking a nut off).I realized it needed persuasion so I got a slide hammer put bolts in the flywheel and the bolt came right out a stripped the fly wheel (I'll re tap it). I just ordered a fly wheel puller from OldMiniBikes Warehouse
. How is there a key that I take out? I am sure that this has been talked about. I tried searching and all I found was the string technique. Thanks, james

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

buckeye

Huh?
I just loosen the nu, leave it on towards the end so you can tap on it with a little pressure with a big screw driver from behind.
Usually pops right off.
There is a flywheel key but, that comes off the the flywheel. Usually still in the notch.

Loosen the nut, liberally apply a good quality penetrating oil to the shaft & keyway while the flywheel is still on, and give it a couple gentle raps on the side of the flywheel while rotating it. You may also substitute a wood block and a regular hammer for this as well.

The important thing is to NEVER strike the flywheel with a hard object.

joshua. c.

i just use a big 3 claw type brake puller. lawn mower mechanics always tell me not to use it or i'll brake the flywheel but iv pulled dosens haven't broken one yet.

To be completely honest I have done everything you kind people have told me and the fly wheel just won't budge ): Not sure what I should do?

I usually take 3 wooden wedges and tap them between the block and the flywheel so there is even pressure pushing it off. Then with the nut on the end so I don't mushroom the end,start by tapping the end. If that doesn't work I keep hitting it harder until it pops off.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Many will vote against this but, If the flywheel has no inspection holes.

Spin the nut on the crank flush with the end.

Use a pluming torch and heat near the crank on the flywheel a fair bit.
You want it real hot.

Use a brass hammer. A Brass OR Aluminum punch and a hammer.

After part is heated well, strike the end of the crank a few times. It should pop loose.

I have done this for decades, Pull flywheels, snowmobile clutches, clutches, and much more they say you need a puller for.

Short story; knew a guy that bent two pullers trying to pull a snowmobile clutch. My buddy gave me a call, I came with my tools and torch.
5 min later the clutch was on the floor.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
You should not need to, you want the flywheel hot, not the crank.

Yes, the crank will get some transfered heat from the flywheel, but not as hot as an engine gets when running.

Metal punches & metal hammers really, really should not make high-speed contact with a cast flywheel. That spells cracks. Cracks = big ol' kaboom.

Rotate & tap with a rubber dead blow mallet. It's not going to come off right away, but take your time. No sense in breaking things that don't need to be broken.

Whoops, my bad.

Just dealing with too many people right now (unfortunately they are neighbors that have brought me a couple of engines they screwed up) that really have no business messing around with things. One of the engines I just got ahold of had the flywheel smacked with a 2lb. sledgehammer & a cold chisel in an attempt to get it off. It gets to you after a while.

Ugh.

Ok so I tried a few things you people have said,but didn't work. I need to get some tools from my dad's shop and I will work on it once again this week end.

Thanks
James

grab the back of the flywheel with both hands with the engine hanging by its own weight and have someone smack down on the shaft with a normal hammer. with the nut on the end so it doesnt mushroom or drop the engine. and make sure you hit it square so you dont mess up the nut or threads