A little more progress today and starting to see the plan come together using a springer/trail tamer inspired suspension. I also decided the 3 horse wasn't enough but I have been unsuccessful finding a flathead 5 horse so may end up using the 212. The only issue with these slant engines is the small space left between the wheel. Need to find a new axle mounting point and forget the jack shaft.
I noticed a few of these comments a couple days back and wanted to say thank you to all of you. Forums like this really help keep me motivated and get a 'gut check' to see if what I'm doing has any impact to others like it has been for me. I amaze myself everytime I work on these projects, having a limited skill set, with what really comes out at the end. Anyway, I'm still looking for a flathead engine but I'm not the kind of person who is going to buy a working snowblower, etc. -just to pull an engine. It's sad that no one makes these new now and I am tempted to just slap the predator in and call it a day. Like I mentioned before, if I do that, I will need to place the axle slightly farther back which (to me) makes the design look dumb with a wheel base that long. I think I may be able to raise the engine mount slightly and weld in a flatplate where the back of the seat riser meets the lower frame which would make everything fit (barely). Plan to get back on this by the weekend. Thanks again for all the compliments!:thumbsup:
thanks Dave- I actually found a couple I should have picked up but decided against. After several weeks of taking this project 'back to the drawing boards', I have come up with a solution I am satisfied with. I overbuilt this thing in both size and weight and going to stick with the trusted predator. :doah:
thanks man, I actually build it all on the workbench. I made one especially for stuff like this a couple years ago on my first build. I have plans for the tubing for an actual mini-bike sized chopper, it's all 7/8 remaining and one piece of 1" I need to finish my quad project (in the background).
So attaching a doodle/scribble of what is going on in my noggin with the current plans to move the engine slightly forward in order to retain the axle mount location. I have also added an additional structural tube in the center as expressed by several OldMiniBikes members. Although this limits the design of a true step-through, i think it adds another cool feature plus strengthening the frame where it's needed most. I know I am slugging along but reasonably confident I can still pull it off for the finish. Thanks for the extra push and critical comments- greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: attaching a 'before and after' redesign--
Still chugging along on this. Cut out the old seat hoop and put in a longer one so the predator will slide under. Also strengthened the lower frame and put in new bracing. Hard to tell at this point if I will finish on time.
Still not much to look at but I spent about 10 hours this weekend completing the welding of the main section of the frame and blending in the welds. Did not get around to the front but still feel like I have enough time to complete this. The live axle mounts were welded in and I did a dry fit of the chain, sprockets, brake assy for a little reassurance. The cables will probably be my biggest headache to figure out unless I can find something crazy long otherwise they might end up being foot controls.