fox doodlebug forks

I want to take the forks apart to replace the springs and boots. One side came off fairly easy but the other side stops. After careful review I found that there is a brass pin inside that prevents the fork from coming out. The fork that did come off had the pin sheared off. If you know what I am talking about and have taken it apart help a guy out. I think I know what to do, just dont know if I should. I will have to replace the brass pins for sure, just not sure whats available.

I want to take the forks apart to replace the springs and boots. One side came off fairly easy but the other side stops. After careful review I found that there is a brass pin inside that prevents the fork from coming out. The fork that did come off had the pin sheared off. If you know what I am talking about and have taken it apart help a guy out. I think I know what to do, just dont know if I should. I will have to replace the brass pins for sure, just not sure whats available.
Dear Family Dad, The lower fork that is still on the bike should have one or two holes up near the top just below the spring and below the brass bushing that's pressed into the top of the lower fork. With the axle out and the front wheel off the bike....turn the fork so that the holes are facing the outside of the bike. Now take an ice pick or an awl and poke around in one or both holes until you feel the little brass pin retract. It will feel spongy. You may have to wiggle the lower fork around a bit to find it. Holding that pin in the retracted position....slide the lower fork down an 1/8 of an inch or so. You can now remove the awl and slide the fork completely off. Be careful because the pin and spring will fly like hell unless you keep your hand over it. Taking them apart will be the best thing you can do. Let me know what you find in there once you get it apart. If you need parts, I may be able to help you. Depends on what you need. Ogy

Dear Family Dad, The lower fork that is still on the bike should have one or two holes up near the top just below the spring and below the brass bushing that's pressed into the top of the lower fork. With the axle out and the front wheel off the bike....turn the fork so that the holes are facing the outside of the bike. Now take an ice pick or an awl and poke around in one or both holes until you feel the little brass pin retract. It will feel spongy. You may have to wiggle the lower fork around a bit to find it. Holding that pin in the retracted position....slide the lower fork down an 1/8 of an inch or so. You can now remove the awl and slide the fork completely off. Be careful because the pin and spring will fly like hell unless you keep your hand over it. Taking them apart will be the best thing you can do. Let me know what you find in there once you get it apart. If you need parts, I may be able to help you. Depends on what you need. Ogy
Now that's good advice, I had to find out the hard way:hammer:

I saw the pin through the hole, didnt know it was spring loaded. hopefully its not froze up. I will give it a try and see what happens. thanks, I figured someone had done this before.

It worked, came right off. The other side wasnt sheared off, it was just stuck in the hole. Someone must have pushed it in and it stayed there. Thanks Ogy, did you replace the boots, if so where did you get them? I can get springs at the local farm store.