Funny marks on food containers

Oldsalt

The attached pic shows some of the strange marks that I have for some time been noticing on cans and food packages. Even on condiments, such as ketchup mustard and etc. at my favorite Greasy Spoon Cafe. Like a "U" circled or a "K" circled. Can it possibly mean that it has something to do with Underwriters [in the case of the "U"] and, but this can't be right, the "K" has something to do with the KKK?

The attached pic shows some of the strange marks that I have for some time been noticing on cans and food packages. Even on condiments, such as ketchup mustard and etc. at my favorite Greasy Spoon Cafe. Like a "U" circled or a "K" circled. Can it possibly mean that it has something to do with Underwriters [in the case of the "U"] and, but this can't be right, the "K" has something to do with the KKK?
Read this.

The Secret Jewish KOSHER TAX THAT INFLATES YOUR FOOD COST! - Radio Islam

joekd

The circled R, as I think most people know, stands for registered trademark. The K, circled K, and the circled U are all meant to indicate the product is kosher.

The unadorned K, being a simple letter of the alphabet, can be used by anyone who wants to claim his product is kosher. The circled K, on the other hand, is a registered mark and can only be used with the permission of its owner, the Organized Kashruth Laboratories of New York, a private certifying concern. The circled U is similarly controlled by the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America, the undisputed heavyweight of kosher-certifying organizations.

What i found weird last week was eggs, i normally dont go to store for food but we needed eggs. I opened the carton to check for breaks and i noticed the weirdness.
The eggs were stamped with a date on them, hmmm wtf

Oldsalt

The circled R, as I think most people know, stands for registered trademark. The K, circled K, and the circled U are all meant to indicate the product is kosher.

The unadorned K, being a simple letter of the alphabet, can be used by anyone who wants to claim his product is kosher. The circled K, on the other hand, is a registered mark and can only be used with the permission of its owner, the Organized Kashruth Laboratories of New York, a private certifying concern. The circled U is similarly controlled by the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America, the undisputed heavyweight of kosher-certifying organizations.
joekd

Thanks for the concise and thoughtful rundown. I thought heck, that's cool. No different than the 'fish on Fridays' thing or that old belief, in a certain area in the US, that sheep are inedible.

Then I went to the url by Radio Islam to learn more all about kosher stuff. Now I didn't know what to think. In their list of topics I noted: "Israel controls US Presidents". I didn't know that! Are they saying they can control Obama? No one else has ever had any luck with that! Another headline on that Radio Islam website was "Jews, who want to be decent human beings, have to renounce being Jewish".

I then started to wounder if maybe I should go through my stock of food and throw out anything that might have a strange mark of one kind or another on it. Just in case. Then I got to thinking. In as much as it is common for them Islam folks to eat dogs how can they be so smart?! Plus I understand that they don't use knives and forks...they eat with their hand [right hand only].

Now, as Bob Dylan said, "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then". I'm so confused.

joekd

Thanks for the concise and thoughtful rundown. I thought heck, that's cool....

...don't use knives and forks...they eat with their hand [right hand only].

Now, as Bob Dylan said, "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then". I'm so confused.
Yeah, the kosher marks thing is interesting. I'll start looking for that. I've always liked dishes that are traditionally Jewish. Oh, and lots of different cultures view the right hand as good or clean, the left as bad or dirty. So let's say that you live as a nomad in the desert (or on the ice), w/no trees, no paper, little water, no silverware, and there's a part of your body that needs to be cleaned a couple of times a day or it starts to itch. You've got two hands. Use one for eating, and save the other for the dirty work. Most people are right handed, so you use it for most things and save your left hand for... well, you get the idea. And if you're born left-handed, the grownups will force you to change. Just like grade school teachers forced my mom and my wife to write with their right hand when they were really left-handed.

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

One-handed would suck indeed. But it's not an Islam thing. It's a thing based on primitive conditions and the absence of technology.
my mistake, I thought it was a reference to Muslim beliefs..I worked with a guy that was Muslim and that's how he ate....

My father in law used to point out those food marking symbols all the time to me....once you start looking you will find them on almost everything...sometimes almost hidden in the graphic artwork.

...But it's not an Islam thing. It's a thing based on primitive conditions and the absence of technology.
my mistake, I thought it was a reference to Muslim beliefs..I worked with a guy that was Muslim and that's how he ate....
Sure, it's part of tradition, in his culture and many others. The whole right-is-good, left-is-bad concept runs so deep in almost every culture, including Christian. Try this. The Italian word for left is "sinistra". Sounds like "sinister"? You bet. Look here and here:

Sinistra

Sinister - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

And I remember the Apostle's Creed from my old Sunday school lessons that reads, in part:

"He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:"

And it goes on and on... Not even gonna touch the right wing /left wing thing. I'm done.

I'm left handed, oh god, I'm going to hell!

seriously, look at my waist and I must eat with both hands, time for diet!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is going back a few years now but we have this chain called Giant Tigre
Giant Tiger - Main Page

They are like Walmart only cheaper lol.
And smaller.....

Anyways
They used to have alot of canned food, stuff you have never seen or heard of theywoudl buy up on the cheap and sell on the discount

How about a jar of octopus?
Would you like some canned Mutton?
Ect ect.

Well they had these kippers in a lemons sauce I loved.
And they were cheap!!!!
So cheap I could live on them ( tough times back then so I bough them )

Once day I read the can and I was eating east german fish packed in the 80s ( and this is decade later ).
So....

Look for dates too, somethings keep a long time but I get worried about canned goods.

Also nice were these sealed tinfoil potato pancakes from Germany ( Iradiated to stay fresh forever ).

Bacon from Poland in cans...

But the Kippers were the best
Well actualy it was all good considering the price.
I even like the Octopus after sometime ( product of Portugal as I recall ).

Canned Mutton made a decent hash with a can of potato, can of green peas and can corn.
Not nice looking, but for under 1 dollar I could make a meal for three days and my stomach could cover most of Eroup lol.

Ah those were the days.
Can of mystery meat.

Know what?
I have an east German lightbulb here someplace.
Still works too!!!

Sad funny and just plane wierd all at the same time.
Not sure if I shoudl screw it into something and let nature take it course or put it on ebay.
Maybe Ebay has those kippers I liked come to think of it.....

Also I have a can military rations from 1965 here someplace too!
Cans all buldging, probably will never be tha hungry

Last edited: