Getting engine started question

Well im wondering why after removing the governor on a 6.5hp motor, the motor seems to take longer to get running? Because before removing governor, i would put full choke for cold start it would fire up on first 2-3 pulls. Now it can take up to 5+ pulls before i can get it started.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

When the engine is not running the governor will have the throttle plate wide open. With the govenor removed, and the throttle plate controlled exclusively by the twist grip, all that needs to be done is to hold the throttle wide open when attempting to start. If it does not start like you say it did before the goveneror was defeated you are probably barking up the wrong tree. The extra pulls on the starter rope are not related to the governor removal.

When the engine is not running the governor will have the throttle plate wide open. With the govenor removed, and the throttle plate controlled exclusively by the twist grip, all that needs to be done is to hold the throttle wide open when attempting to start. If it does not start like you say it did before the goveneror was defeated you are probably barking up the wrong tree. The extra pulls on the starter rope are not related to the governor removal.
Hmm do you think giving the return spring alittle slack will help this issue? since that spring is there to keep the bike from running wide open with the governor removed?

Motra

Changing the spring won't affect starting. All he's saying is to hold the throttle open manually while starting, it allows the engine to drawin more fuel.

The return spring does nothing but pull your butterfly back shut... What HE was trying to say is, the governor lets the (Throttle) be wide open, so the engine is allowed to pull more air and throttle up... It helps the engine start because it can suck more air and it helps get the system rolling... By loosening the return spring, all you would do is possibly make the engine NOT GO BACK to an idle when you let off the gas... Your only problem is the fact that butterfly is shut right down and you are trying to start the engine cold.... HONESTLY to perfectly honest with you... If you look at your throttle arm and see where it sets at idle or not running... SLowly turn the throttle open some... In ALL honesty.. the engine will ACTUALLY start the best at maybe like 1/3 throttle.... DEAD slow idle the engine is not getting much air..... if you hold it WIDE OPEN and try to start it, it is actually getting MORE air than it wants.. The fuel amount will never change in these motors unless you adjust it to.... Car carburetors have what are called (Metering Rods), those open up with the throttle to change your high speed fuel amount.. The more AIR you give the engine, the more FUEL it gives the motor to compensate... These SMALL engines just have whatever amount of fuel you decide it should have to run correctly...... SO.. if your engine is all nice and warm and at it's running temp when the carburetor is dialed in RIGHT so it runs RIGHT........when the engine is COLD it wants just a LITTLE more fuel to get going and warmed up good. That is why they have a choke or primer bulb.. It DUMPS a lot of fuel into the system so it can get burning and whirling..... THE BEST way to start a cold engine with no governor would be hold your throttle about 1/3 throttle.... it will still allow the engine a little more air than it needs... but the butterfly being more closed than open, creates an eddy as the air enters and will almost work as a choke, and help pull fuel...... PLUS #2, if it is like MY engines... mine are dialed in so well that I crank the idle WAY down so it sits there and bump bumps when it's idling.. You can watch the flywheel going around... Of coarse it WILL NOT idle at all like that when the engine is cold because it is not dialed in to run cold... My engines I will always hold them JUST BARELY over an idle, and they start FIRST pull every time..... BUT if I left it to sit at DEAD idle when it was cold, THEN tried to start the motor... It would give me fits, and pop and miss and only run WHILE you were pulling on the rope, because it hasn't got the speed built up and rings and piston warmed and swelled to where it wants to be....... I say you are just fine..... your only problem is you need to hold the throttle open just a little bit, 1/4 to a 1/3 of the way open, when you go to start it cold.... Just like Oldsalt said.... Your machine is fine the way it is.. you just need to understand what it is thinking. :thumbsup:

The return spring does nothing but pull your butterfly back shut... What HE was trying to say is, the governor lets the (Throttle) be wide open, so the engine is allowed to pull more air and throttle up... It helps the engine start because it can suck more air and it helps get the system rolling... By loosening the return spring, all you would do is possibly make the engine NOT GO BACK to an idle when you let off the gas... Your only problem is the fact that butterfly is shut right down and you are trying to start the engine cold.... HONESTLY to perfectly honest with you... If you look at your throttle arm and see where it sets at idle or not running... SLowly turn the throttle open some... In ALL honesty.. the engine will ACTUALLY start the best at maybe like 1/3 throttle.... DEAD slow idle the engine is not getting much air..... if you hold it WIDE OPEN and try to start it, it is actually getting MORE air than it wants.. The fuel amount will never change in these motors unless you adjust it to.... Car carburetors have what are called (Metering Rods), those open up with the throttle to change your high speed fuel amount.. The more AIR you give the engine, the more FUEL it gives the motor to compensate... These SMALL engines just have whatever amount of fuel you decide it should have to run correctly...... SO.. if your engine is all nice and warm and at it's running temp when the carburetor is dialed in RIGHT so it runs RIGHT........when the engine is COLD it wants just a LITTLE more fuel to get going and warmed up good. That is why they have a choke or primer bulb.. It DUMPS a lot of fuel into the system so it can get burning and whirling..... THE BEST way to start a cold engine with no governor would be hold your throttle about 1/3 throttle.... it will still allow the engine a little more air than it needs... but the butterfly being more closed than open, creates an eddy as the air enters and will almost work as a choke, and help pull fuel...... PLUS #2, if it is like MY engines... mine are dialed in so well that I crank the idle WAY down so it sits there and bump bumps when it's idling.. You can watch the flywheel going around... Of coarse it WILL NOT idle at all like that when the engine is cold because it is not dialed in to run cold... My engines I will always hold them JUST BARELY over an idle, and they start FIRST pull every time..... BUT if I left it to sit at DEAD idle when it was cold, THEN tried to start the motor... It would give me fits, and pop and miss and only run WHILE you were pulling on the rope, because it hasn't got the speed built up and rings and piston warmed and swelled to where it wants to be....... I say you are just fine..... your only problem is you need to hold the throttle open just a little bit, 1/4 to a 1/3 of the way open, when you go to start it cold.... Just like Oldsalt said.... Your machine is fine the way it is.. you just need to understand what it is thinking. :thumbsup:
You don't think the bike will try to take off with me holding the throttle open alittle as soon as i pull start it? Only reason im asking, is because im not trying to play crash test dumbie with my bike outside. Thats the reason why i stand on left side of my bike, and hold brake, turn full choke on, and pull it till it starts once it starts, i give it alittle throttle, and it stays started then.

Edit: BTW my throttle on handlebars is very touchy, and just turning it alittle the bike will take off like a rocket.

HAHA!!! Yeah that is a GREAT POINT!! that you pre-discovered on your own.. :thumbsup: I WAS going to mention it but I have ADD and COMPLETELY forgot. :doah: YEAH watch out for sure... :freakout: If you have it wide open it will WANT TO GO wide open.... If the choke is on it will CHOKE OUT trying to go wide open SO you'd end up with an end resu;t of the motor going about 1/2 wide open with a little bit of torque and spitting and sputtering black smoke... But YES definitely watch out for the motor trying to take off wide open... LET RIGHT OFF of the gas when it fires....But it is not scary.. I mean don't be AFFRAID of it.. it will take the thing a minute to sit there and build up to speed enough to get that clutch hooked up and the tire rolling with power enough to move you across the yard.. It can't just explode out of your hand unless you have some kind of 75 horse power supergaharged dragster engine or something you could never start to begin with... Uhhhhh if your throttle is SUPER fast like that you need to give it a longer throw wherever you have the cable hooked.. I've rigged 100's of them.. post some pics of what it looks like and me and probably about 15 other people will write in with THEIR idea and pretty soon there will some cool stuff you can learn.. YES!! the bike WILL want to go wide open if that is what you tell it.. They are NOT horses.. They only know what you tell it to.. If your throttle is super fast like you said, actually WATCHING the throttle on your carburetor open as you turn the twist grip.. Will teach you a lot about how it is working and stuff... You will see what is idle and what is wide open... Then just aim the throttle arm for what you would say is about 1/3 of wide open, with your choke on, then give it a pull or 4 and see what happens.. You just want the throttle OPEN some so the engine can get air.. (breath) cause if it can't breath it cant live....

Oldsalt

Just roll the minibike over to something solid like a tree or the house. Put the front tire against that firm object and start the bike. Heck, use the hubcap on any car in the drive if no one is watching. It can't get away from you because all that can happen is that the rear tire spins on the ground. Without any weight on the bike that's not a problem. I have at least one mini that has to be started that way because it will not idle, cold, unless the rpm is well above the point that the clutch engages.

Last edited: