Gilson/MW jack shaft--professional opinion needed

My next big project is my 525, and I've tried to gauge the condition of the drive sprocket on the jack shaft. From the photos I've been able to find, I can't really judge what kind of shape mine is in. I think it is worn out, but need someone who has done these before to give an opinion. If bad, what do I get to replace it. I plan on going with an H50 or (stupid me) another GC160.

Attachments

It's worn. We have kits you can replace it with. I used one on my Gilson but put a Comet 2 speed on it. If you tell me the sprocket sizes you need, I can put some parts together that will work for you.

capguncowboy

The 525 was the top-of the line model, very similar to my Gilson. That should have been a two-speed set up, which would have had a 1-way (sprag) 24t sprocket on it, with a 2nd speed clutch bell on the jack shaft. Here's what mine looked like originally. Someone had welded the sprag sprocket and removed the 2nd speed clutch from the jackshaft.

I ended up buying a new 2-speed kit from black widow motorsports for about $150 shipped. The jackshaft was too short, and the old one was too far gone to use, so I ended up getting a new shaft from OldMiniBikes. After a few mods, it was ready to use

So, to answer your question: If you're planning on restoring the bike in any way, go back to the Comet 2-speed set up. It's pricey, but it would add both value and versatility to the bike. If you're not planning for a restoration or are planning for a restomod, then use what you've got on there until you make up your mind. It looks like that sprocket's been welded in, so replacing it means replacing the jackshaft too.

BTW, aside form being welded, the sprocket I removed from my bike (still on the jackshaft) was in pretty good shape. The teeth were in really good condition. If you want it for your build, I'd be happy to send it to you for the price of shipping. I likely won't use it for anything and it's just collecting dust in my garage. Let me know and I'll post up some better pics

It's worn. We have kits you can replace it with. I used one on my Gilson but put a Comet 2 speed on it. If you tell me the sprocket sizes you need, I can put some parts together that will work for you.
Thanks, let me converse more with Capgun cowboy--I think I need to send him some better detailed photos so he can tell what I had.

The 525 was the top-of the line model, very similar to my Gilson. That should have been a two-speed set up, which would have had a 1-way (sprag) 24t sprocket on it, with a 2nd speed clutch bell on the jack shaft. Here's what mine looked like originally. Someone had welded the sprag sprocket and removed the 2nd speed clutch from the jackshaft.

I ended up buying a new 2-speed kit from black widow motorsports for about $150 shipped. The jackshaft was too short, and the old one was too far gone to use, so I ended up getting a new shaft from OldMiniBikes. After a few mods, it was ready to use

So, to answer your question: If you're planning on restoring the bike in any way, go back to the Comet 2-speed set up. It's pricey, but it would add both value and versatility to the bike. If you're not planning for a restoration or are planning for a restomod, then use what you've got on there until you make up your mind. It looks like that sprocket's been welded in, so replacing it means replacing the jackshaft too.

BTW, aside form being welded, the sprocket I removed from my bike (still on the jackshaft) was in pretty good shape. The teeth were in really good condition. If you want it for your build, I'd be happy to send it to you for the price of shipping. I likely won't use it for anything and it's just collecting dust in my garage. Let me know and I'll post up some better pics
thanks, let me send you some better pictures. I had no idea this was a 2 speed bike.

capguncowboy

Here's a better picture of the teeth on the sprag sprocket I've got. Like I said before, it's no longer a sprag as someone welded it, but it is at least 5/8" bore and 24T. The teeth look like they're in really good shape.

I've got a Montgomery Ward user manual with all the parts list and codes. Most of the codes are useless, but it would help you at least identify what your bike did and didn't have

Here's a better picture of the teeth on the sprag sprocket I've got. Like I said before, it's no longer a sprag as someone welded it, but it is at least 5/8" bore and 24T. The teeth look like they're in really good shape.

I've got a Montgomery Ward user manual with all the parts list and codes. Most of the codes are useless, but it would help you at least identify what your bike did and didn't have
thanks, I'll send you a pm for more detail. BTW--did you see the NOS clutch cover on ebay? It's now over 235.00, which is 3x what I paid for my 525!

capguncowboy

Yes I did. I bought my entire bike for about that last year and it had everything on it except the exhaust extension and the rear chain guard. I figured it would go for a lot being that it was NOS, but I didn't expect it to hit the $200 mark in the first day. Makes me glad I decided to keep mine.

My opinion, for what it's worth...
I also have a blue 525. My jackshaft is identical to yours pictured. I believe it is original to the bike and has always been a single speed.
It has a painted fork.
I also have another blue 525 with a chrome fork, which was a two speed. I'm thinking there were variations of the 525 and your jackshaft is correct for your bike.
Get new parts and replicate what you have.

capguncowboy

My opinion, for what it's worth...
I also have a blue 525. My jackshaft is identical to yours pictured. I believe it is original to the bike and has always been a single speed.
It has a painted fork.
I also have another blue 525 with a chrome fork, which was a two speed. I'm thinking there were variations of the 525 and your jackshaft is correct for your bike.
Get new parts and replicate what you have.
According to the Montgomery Ward owner's manuel, the 13998A had the two-speed. No other models had it. I always believed that to be the 525. Anyone care to clarify that? What's the model number on your serial plate?

According to the Montgomery Ward owner's manuel, the 13998A had the two-speed. No other models had it. I always believed that to be the 525. Anyone care to clarify that? What's the model number on your serial plate?

13988A
Blue, lights, chrome fork.

I see in the parts list that the 13987A also is a H50 engine with a different type designation. I believe but don't have any proof that the 13987A is a single speed 5HP painted fork model, possibly no lights and designated 525.
13988A is a 5HP 2 speed with lights, the different engine type providing lighting coil and had chrome forks and was a XE525.
Again, pure speculation on my part based on info I have found on the web.

capguncowboy

13988A
Blue, lights, chrome fork.

I see in the parts list that the 13987A also is a H50 engine with a different type designation. I believe but don't have any proof that the 13987A is a single speed 5HP painted fork model, possibly no lights and designated 525.
13988A is a 5HP 2 speed with lights, the different engine type providing lighting coil and had chrome forks and was a XE525.
Again, pure speculation on my part based on info I have found on the web.
Part AS (left hand column). The 13988A came with a two-speed set-up. That's all that it came with.

I suppose the lower-end H50 model probably was a single speed 525. I wonder if it was called an XE525 like the lighted version.

I've got a big Gilson with the 10" wheels. The original paint was lime green. I was under the impression the Ward model (XE525?)was the only model that came in lime green and had a "variable speed" converter... However, this is just speculation from what I've seen in pictures. Mine was missing the serial plate, etc. so I can't be sure about mine. Unfortunately, it was also missing the stock engine and jackshaft when I found it. The only gearing reference I have is a 3/8th pitch-73 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel. Now I'm wondering if I just have some sort of mutt... :shrug:

capguncowboy

it's likely a mw vt525 if it's green, as that was the designated color for that model. The 10" allis bikes were orange, and the Gilson 10" bikes were yellow or orange as far as i know.