Golden Pinto Resto Mod

I guess it is time to start a build thread.......... Picked. Up this little jewel last weekend as an " almost roller " (missing the front wheel). Paid $50 for it. Immediate plans are to gather parts and formulate a game plan. I am thinking about making this a little rat bike. Picking up (4) old Tecumsehs this weekend for $45. One of the 1st things that need to be handled is the fork issue. Some repairs have been done in the past and they are a little off kilter. I am thinking about cutting the bars off and putting some ape hangers on. Any body know which forks interchange with the Golden Pintos? Here are a few shots of the ol' girl. I have the rear shocks. I need to get the dimensions on the seat pan and rear seat hanger

Last edited:
Here's the 1st one of the four Tecumsehs that I am picking up. I will post up ID tags and codes once they are all home so I can get some help decoding them all

oldfatguy

Thats how I do it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
it's the best way to do it. I even made a die for the press to form the tubes round again. I had a set of forks that someone beat with a hammer to straighten them. That left the fork tube egg shaped and dented. I was able to get the tube round again and even most of the dent out by using the die that I made.

1stlegendtx

it's the best way to do it. I even made a die for the press to form the tubes round again. I had a set of forks that someone beat with a hammer to straighten them. That left the fork tube egg shaped and dented. I was able to get the tube round again and even most of the dent out by using the die that I made.
Can you show us a picture of it?:thumbsup:

Here is a shot of the I'd tag on what is believed to be a Tecumseh H60. Got any clues? I paid $25 for this motor along with another one and a box of vintage parts

It's a Sears engine hence the 143 model number. If the first digit in the serial is a 3, its a '73.
Thanks mini. I have been through Pennsburg before on a parts run. My wife grew up in Easton. It is my understanding that Tecumseh made engines for Sears? Is this the case here? Anyway, good deal for the money...

Had a little time this morning before heading to a cook out at my folks' place. That crappy blue paint is gone!!! Hit it with the wire wheel on my angle grinder. Almost stripped. I figure I may take it to my buddy's house and let him blast it clean.

Did a test fit on the 6hp Sears/ Tecumseh motor in the frame. Too big. The spark plug is hitting the front seat mount ( depending on which way I move it). If I push it all the out, the spark plug is about 1/4" from the frame.

The wife brought home a new kitten for the girls so, they could care less about the mini right now....... More fun for Daddy is all I can say!!!!

I am thinking about cutting the forks up and making new ones. Too many repairs done in the past and poor quality at that. Shocks and ape hangers seem like a good fit

hey I got the same mini golden pinto it is in good shape got it running and gave it to my grandson when he is done with it you know to big for it I will restore it

oldfatguy

Can you show us a picture of it?:thumbsup:

here is all it is , I drilled a 7/8" hole through the two blocks while they were clamped together. All you do is put it around the dented or ovaled part of the tube and squeeze the blocks in the press or a big vise. If you don't want to go to the trouble of making one. I will let you borrow this set if you promise to mail them back to me when you are done.